Senior Electronics Engineer - Automation
Ocado Technology develops the innovative systems that power the online grocery retail platforms of Ocado.com (the world's largest online-only grocery retailer), Morrisons (the UK’s fourth largest supermarket chain) and, in the near future, a number of international supermarkets (including Kroger’s, one of the largest in the USA). We are building an electronics team to support the exciting automation technology that is being developed here, and this is your chance to join at its inception.
What will you be doing?
- Designing circuit boards with embedded processors, communications, and analogue interfaces.
- Identifying new ideas to improve our products, and producing reference designs to prove and implement these concepts.
- Taking a lead in system design and analysis.
- Helping to develop a rapid and flexible development process.
- Contributing to the definition of product specs, roadmaps, and procedures.
- Mentoring junior engineers.
- Providing advice and analysis to other teams in Ocado.
With this in mind, we are looking for people with a track record of designing and implementing embedded systems pcbs using a variety of methodologies, with a flexible approach, and are looking to help form a brand new team of engineers. Are you that person?
Things we are looking for in a candidate
- A passion for hands-on electronics design, with extensive experience developing embedded designs from concept to manufacture.
- Proven track record of digital and analogue design, including Processors, Communication buses (e.g. CAN, Ethernet), Sensors; experience of DC motor drives would be beneficial but not necessary.
- Good history of innovation; strong ideas backed up by analytical skills.
- Schematic capture and PCB layout, using professional CAD tool (Altium preferable but not required).
- Working closely with an embedded software team.
- Designing production & field test equipment; e.g. test boxes, bed of nails, flying probe.
- Simple programming, for example, to bring up prototype boards.
- Rework and assembly of PCB assemblies, simple cabling.
- Experience of rapid prototyping methods.
- A flexible approach to development; Deals well with uncertainty, does not need conventional structures to operate within.
- Ideally, experience of working with electro-mechanical systems, with distributed electronics.
What we can offer you
Within our flexible work environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include a generous pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled.
We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more), not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, our vacancy close dates may be subject to change. Ocado is an equal opportunity employer.
More searches like this
- Automation Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Design Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electro-Mechanical Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Electronics Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer