Autonomous Systems Engineer (Live, Virtual, Constructive)
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
The modelling and analysis team provide technical services, expert advice and support to trials, experimentation and training using synthetic environments and simulation-based systems. We also research and develop innovative training solutions for our customers, primarily for the land and air domains.
As part of Engineering and Operations the candidate will be required to provide expertise for design, development, evaluation and assessment activities for a range of programmes. This may include:
- Developing and exploiting Control & Autonomy research for Unmanned Air Systems and manned aircraft through a mixture of analysis, modelling, simulation and Live-Virtual-Constructive trials.
- Systems integration using industry standard software languages, protocols and practices and development of bespoke interfaces where required.
- Applying systems design principles to development of prototype research systems comprising a mix of software and COTS hardware. This may include development of software and algorithms for research purposes.
- Research, design and development of innovative solutions using commercial off the shelf technologies and new concepts (such as Augmented and Virtual Reality) to deliver training benefits and improve learning outcomes.
- Production of technical documentation in support of work carried out, and presentation of findings to a range of internal and external audiences.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Working as part of a team to develop exploitable products and services from research undertaken within Cyber, Information and Training.
- Applying engineering best practice generally and specifically in accordance with applicable QinetiQ procedures.
- Undertaking higher Technology Readiness Level (TRL) research and development in support of business strategy
- Planning and structuring their own work and regularly reporting to the Project Manager and Technical Leads on progress
- Supporting engagement with customers and industry partners to understand project requirements, develop effective relationships and deliver acceptable outcomes.
- Supporting bid formulation with respect to requirements analysis and technical work definition.
The Team Lead will provide Performance Development Management and ensure technical compliance with process and business needs.
Knowledge of some or all of the following would be highly beneficial:
- Broad understanding of computer and IT hardware and technologies, including networking, display devices and HMI devices / controllers.
- Experience working with simulation components that may include Computer Generated Forces, Image Generators and Virtual Environments.
- Awareness or experience with commonly used simulation protocols such as DIS, HLA or DDS.
- Good awareness of software engineering lifecycles, including a demonstrable understanding of different approaches to software development for products as well as research. Experience in a development environment using C/C++, Python or Java may also be an advantage.
- Understanding of Systems Engineering principles and their application across all stages of Through Life Engineering.
- Good analytical skills. Able to make evaluative judgements based on modelling and simulation or analysis of factual information.
- Ability to see beyond the obvious to find appropriate solutions and identify benefits and challenges of proposed options.
- Strong risk awareness and quality conscious. Able to follow applicable processes and procedures.
- Able to proactively anticipate possible problems and overcome obstacles.
- Experience working in the air, land or maritime domains or in the defence industry would be desirable, but is not essential. An interest in military aerospace and the role of Unmanned Air Systems may be an advantage.
- Innovative self-starter able to show initiative. We’re looking for enthusiastic team players who can help develop concepts and solutions to our customers’ challenges.
- Sound and comprehensive communications skills in order to exchange complex information both within the team and to external customers. Clear and concise written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Comfortable working as part of a technical team with delivery deadlines. Displays agility and adaptability to different teams and problems.
- Able to accept technical direction but also able and willing to contribute to technical planning and strategy.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A first degree in Science, Engineering or Mathematics, or an equivalent, nationally recognised professional qualification. A background in avionics, electronic systems, software engineering or systems engineering may be an advantage, especially if it has involved detailed analysis, modelling or simulation.
- 3 years demonstrable experience working as part of technical and non-technical teams in the military, aerospace or other applicable domain.
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake a vetting process and maintain appropriate security clearance.