Principal Safety Case Engineer
Innovate & Power the world
As a Principal Nuclear Safety Case Engineer you will undertake safety assessment and consultancy for clients, in a senior or technical lead capacity. Typical projects may include supporting the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process and Site Licensing of new nuclear power stations. Projects could also include development of safety case analysis for the UK submarine fleet or its land based infrastructure, or safety input to projects for various Nuclear Site Licence Companies in the UK, or nuclear operators elsewhere in the world. Note that the nature of projects cannot be guaranteed and would depend on your experience.
The role will be split between Warrington and Derby and you will need to spend two days a week at each of the sites.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
Our civil nuclear business provides nuclear reactor vendors and utility operators with integrated, long-term support services and solutions spanning the whole reactor lifecycle, from concept design through to obsolescence management and plant-life extension. Safety-critical systems have been supplied to around 50% of the global nuclear power plants in service and we've been a key player in the nuclear industry for more than 50 years.
- Specifying, monitoring and accepting the design based on safety case outcomes and understanding of the emerging claims, arguments, and evidence
- Development of safety cases (PSR, PCSR, POSR etc) to support the GDA and site specific licensing for UK new build and preparation of safety case documentation for modifications to existing plants
- Undertaking hazard assessment, fault screening, deterministic and probabilistic safety assessment, event and fault tree analysis, ALARP studies, safety categorisation and SIL assessments
- Participation in or chairing of HAZOP / HAZID / SWIFT etc.
- Leading projects and packages of work
- Degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Maths, Physics
- Safety Case writing experience
- Experience of safety and/or reliability and/or probabilistic safety/risk analysis, in safety-significant roles
- Experience in nuclear industry, other highly regulated industries such as rail, oil & gas or aerospace or equivalent
- Civil nuclear knowledge would be beneficial
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Pioneer power for life. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
This role is subject to full UK security clearance.