Senior Planning Engineer
Western Power builds, maintains and operates the electricity network in the south west corner of Western Australia, delivering an essential service to power a modern lifestyle, safely, reliably and affordably. We’re focused on serving our customers, and are committed to providing a safe working environment for our people. It is an exciting time in the electricity industry: a time of great change, innovation and opportunity which we embrace and welcome. That’s why we need talented people with passion and ambition to join us. Explore your next opportunity at Western Power.
This is a permanent full-time position located at our Perth Head office.
About the Role:
In this role you will be accountable for undertaking power system studies relating to steady state, dynamic, transient, power quality and small signal power system performance.
You will also be responsible for providing a focal point for technical support, develop key network strategies which will guide operation, maintenance and investment for the transmission or distribution network. These strategies will provide future direction for investment on the network to support the asset strategies while facilitating the future growth of the network with the connection of new large customer and generator connections.
The successful applicant will be experienced and competent in the following:
- At least 9 + years relevant broad and extensive knowledge and expertise with demonstrated technical experience covering the following areas:
- Planning, design, operation and maintenance of electricity transmission networks;
- Large generation and load connection studies including assessment of dynamic behaviour, control system assessments and tuning of parameters.
- Development of key network strategies which will guide operation, maintenance and investment for the transmission network
- Ability to provide technical and analytical capability to projects and investigations to model and stimulate power system behaviours
- Capable of assessing compliance requirements for new and modified generating systems.
- Knowledge of performing load flow and dynamics studies in Powerfactory or equivalent software packages.
- Knowledge of specialist studies relating to rotor angle, small signal, frequency and voltage stability, electromagnetic transients and corona;
- Understanding of energy markets and good appreciation of regulatory frameworks.
- Demonstrated ability and understanding of technological developments in power systems and grid networks.
- Knowledge of modelling requirements for performing transmission network power system studies.
- Broad knowledge of transmission system plant and its application, including the planning criteria, specifications and design requirements
- Ability for the development of appropriate network strategies aligned to the Key Asset Management Objective Strategies.
- Proficiency in key computer systems and specialty power system analysis applications
- High competency in report writing with excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Degree in Engineering (Electrical or equivalent); Eligible for CPEng / NPER registration
What’s on Offer?
At Western Power, our people are our strength. As an employee at Western Power, we offer:
- Competitive remuneration
- A safe and sustainable workplace
- Equal opportunity employment
- Personal development and training opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- An award-winning employee recognition programme
Like to know more?
Please click on the Apply button to apply.
At Western Power, our people are our strength. We offer a collaborative, flexible and safe work environment within a large organisation and are committed to equal opportunity employment. You will receive opportunities for development and training, use your skills and develop new ones to meet the challenges of an organisation delivering an essential service to the people of Western Australia.