Principal Substation Engineer
Western Power builds, maintains and operates the electricity network in the south west corner of Western Australia, delivering an essential service to power a modern lifestyle, safely, reliably and affordably. We’re focused on serving our customers, and are committed to providing a safe working environment for our people. It is an exciting time in the electricity industry: a time of great change, innovation and opportunity which we embrace and welcome. That’s why we need talented people with passion and ambition to join us. Explore your next opportunity at Western Power.
This will be a permanent full-time positiion located at our Perth Head Office.
About the role:
Western Power is seeking a Principal Engineer to support our Substation Design Area. The Substation Design Area is responsible for the design of Transmission/Distribution Substations (Primary, Secondary, Civil, and Structural) and for the Technical Specifications and evaluations of all related primary and secondary plant.
The key accountabilities of the Principal Engineer are:
- Responsible for developing standards and specifications that supports the plant procurement and contract award activities
- Required to work as an integral part of a multidiscipline team responsible for the delivery of detail design and drafting works covering multiple disciplines associated with assigned substation projects
- Influence and/ or formulate direction and strategy of the substation design and plant procurement team by applying skills, knowledge and experience
- Take accountability for the overall results of assignments or projects with professional review and guidance provided periodically or at critical points
- Conduct professional technical reviews of project results and actively drive improvements in the quality and competitiveness of substation designs
- Lead the development of standard designs and drive continuous improvement in the development of required systems
The successful candidate will be recognised for not only their technical excellence but also for their demonstrated leadership in people and business. They will also demonstrate:
- Extensive technical experience and able to demonstrate technical leadership in a network business associated with the design and construction of substations
- At least 10 years of experience in a utility networks design business
- Extensive working knowledge of other disciplines associated with substation design, including protection settings, SCADA and communications
- Extensive working knowledge of substation construction and commissioning practices
- An understanding of risk and compliance management and its application in the business
- Tertiary qualification in the relevant Engineering Discipline recognised by Engineers Australia as satisfying the academic requirements for appointment as a Professional Engineer
- Eligible for registration as a Chartered Engineer
What’s on Offer?
At Western Power, our people are our strength. As an employee at Western Power, we offer:
- Competitive remuneration
- A safe and sustainable workplace
- Equal opportunity employment
- Personal development and training opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- An award winning employee recognition programme
Like to know more?
Please click on the Apply button to apply for the role.
At Western Power, our people are our strength. We offer a collaborative, flexible and safe work environment within a large organisation and are committed to equal opportunity employment. You will receive opportunities for development and training, use your skills and develop new ones to meet the challenges of an organisation delivering an essential service to the people of Western Australia.