Principal Design Manager
Western Power builds, maintains and operates the electricity network in the south west corner of Western Australia, delivering an essential service to power a modern lifestyle, safely, reliably and affordably. We’re focused on serving our customers, and are committed to providing a safe working environment for our people. It is an exciting time in the electricity industry: a time of great change, innovation and opportunity which we embrace and welcome. That’s why we need talented people with passion and ambition to join us. Explore your next opportunity at Western Power.
This is a permanent full-time position located at our Perth Head Office.
About the Role:
This position is accountable for providing technical leadership for the successful design of complex transmission and distribution infrastructure projects, and delivery against targeted outcomes that include but are not restricted to, safety-in-design, overall governance, adherence to standards and obligations, the achievement of milestones and timeframes, financial performance including cost, budgets and benefits, and stakeholder expectations.
This position will be required to coordinate, negotiate, and lead design resources, with the wider business and customers, to successfully deliver design solutions.
The successful applicant will be experienced and competent in the following:
- A seasoned professional with both broad and deep knowledge and expertise of engineering and design gained through comprehensive experience i.e. 15+ years in engineering or design management roles for, preferably, an electrical utility environment
- Significant experience developing solutions to complex infrastructure projects
- Working knowledge of technical standards and design principles for complex electrical transmission installations
- Proven successful program delivery outcomes within tight timeframes within a complex environment
- Strong negotiation and relationship skills and the ability to communicate internally at all levels of the organisation (including C Suite) and externally to customers, consultants and contractors
- Ability to negotiate with internal and external stakeholders to achieve win-win outcomes
- Ability to lead and influence project stakeholders to achieve business outcomes
- Proven technical leadership and team building skills when managing large and complex programs and projects
- Strategic perspective, strong analytical and business acumen capability, ability to think conceptually and ability to apply business context when generating solutions
- Influence, develop and motivate people and change behaviour
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- Eligible for membership of the Institution of Engineers Australia
What’s on Offer?
At Western Power, our people are our strength. As an employee at Western Power, we offer:
- Competitive remuneration
- A safe and sustainable workplace
- Equal opportunity employment
- Personal development and training opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements
- An award winning employee recognition programme
Like to know more?
Please click on the Apply button to apply for the role.
At Western Power, our people are our strength. We offer a collaborative, flexible and safe work environment within a large organisation and are committed to equal opportunity employment. You will receive opportunities for development and training, use your skills and develop new ones to meet the challenges of an organisation delivering an essential service to the people of Western Australia.