Electrical Design Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
A vacancy exists for an Electrical Engineer, working on the AJAX programme in the Electrical Design function group.
The role requires proven knowledge and experience on both 12V and 24V DC Electrical Systems from power storage & generation, platform protection & distribution through to qualification and acceptance of a power architecture. A desirable background relating to military vehicle/land platform design is also preferred, however is not essential.
- Support the power requirements analyses, compliance assessments and gap analyses for the Power Architecture
- Support the development of Power Architecture design against system requirement and constraints
- Work with external subcontractors and equipment suppliers to develop power systems
- Support the team in the definition and development of power interfaces for systems and equipment’s
- Support the delivery of Power documentation and artefacts to capture solution and compliance evidence
- A relevant or associated degree (or equivalent) to the role such as Electrical or Electronic engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or considerable work experience in the field
- Understanding of DC voltage laws and their application in power system
- Understanding of low voltage AC installation application including safety in power system design
- Experience in power & voltage disturbance sources & management techniques
- Knowledge and experience of operational criteria for use of energy storage devices of differing chemical technologies
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics
- 2D CAD design experience – Visio preferred
- Defence, Aerospace or Automotive experience
- Ability to liaise with and present information to multidiscipline team members
- Willing to travel extensively within the UK and overseas
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written skills
- Knowledge & understanding of electrical systems in military platforms and Electromagnetic Compatibility/TEMPEST design practices (Defence Standards 61-5 and 59-411
- Experience of design and integration of electrical systems into harsh environmental conditions (Defence Standard 00-35)
- IET Wiring Regulations – Seventeenth Edition
- Experience with National Instruments LabView 2014
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.