Senior Trials Manager
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
GDLSUK is looking to recruit a Senior Trials Manager for the AJAX programme, working within the ITEA team and reporting to the ITEA Deputy Chief Engineer. The successful candidate will be a key player within the team, providing specialist systems engineering expertise in the area of system integration, test, trials and acceptance to the programme. The role will place significant demands on their engineering knowledge and experience. The role will require close liaison and co-operation with the engineering domain subject matter experts and systems engineering expertise residing in the wider GD businesses. The candidate must be a team player who is prepared to lead from the front and work with a multi-national engineering team and the customer community. The individual will be required to work across geographical and cultural divides to draw together a comprehensive engineering trials capability that will result a balanced system solution
- Plan and manage the execution of verification and validation & reliability growth trials for the fleet of AJAX test and trials vehicles
- Develop and manage the Trials Operating Schedule
- Manage the Trials Lead Engineers and associated vehicle teams to deliver the test and trials programme
- Liaison with IPT / ATDU trials staff
- Provide test and trials status review reports to the ITEA Engineering Manager
- Provision of key artefacts in support of system acceptance
- Support the preparation and conduct of AJAX Role Test Readiness Reviews in line with programme schedule
- Focal point for key trials related incidents in accordance with the DRACAS process
- Review and approval of all trials plans, specifications and reports
- Attend regular GD-Authority working groups as part of a stakeholder community
- Trials Health & Safety management, interfacing with the Health & Safety function
- Develop strong interface into ILS to support sparing and maintenance activities
- Prepare material for internal and external design reviews and participate in the reviews as the ITEA trials representative
- Support critical design appraisals throughout the design and development life-cycle
- Effectively communicate test and trials options & constraints to a multidiscipline team throughout all phases of the project
- Carry out viability assessments of test and trials approaches
- Prepare cost, programme and risk estimates for proposed engineering solutions
- Provide concise briefings to Senior Management
- Extensive understanding and experience of systems engineering process, including requirements management, systems analysis/design, system integration and test and complex vehicle trials
- A proven track record in the planning and execution of vehicles trials programmes from requirements through to series production
- Ability to liaise with and present information to multidiscipline team members.
- Willing to travel extensively within the UK and overseas
- Good documentation skills, with experience in the preparation of systems documentation, including vehicle test and trials plans, specifications and reports
- Ability to think at the systems level.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written skills.
- A strong background in military vehicle systems engineering, integration and acceptance
- Familiarity with current British Army tracked and wheeled vehicles.
- Experience of working within a multi-cultural and multi-lingual engineering team.
- Broad knowledge of standards and legislation applicable to military platforms.
- Degree qualified in relevant engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience in all vehicle systems domains including Electronic Architecture (vetronics), lethality, survivability and mobility systems.
- Experienced in the use of systems engineering and integration tools/methodologies
- Extensive experience in determination of compliance methodologies and demonstration through test, analysis and similarity with previously tested equipment
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.