Electrical Safety Engineer
As an Electrical Safety Engineer in the Prevention & Safety Engineering Expertise Section of HSE-OH&S, you will take up the role of the CERN specialist for electrical safety, joining a multidisciplinary team of safety experts, covering several engineering domains.
Electrical safety at CERN covers domains such as distribution networks, special CERN equipment (radio frequencies, power converters, particle detectors, etc.) as well as Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC).
- Contribute to the projects/experiments safety support activity of the HSE-OHS Group, internally coordinating different safety specialists.
- Support, check and validate design calculations prepared by different CERN technical departments. This activity can relate to highly specialised equipment, not fully covered by common standards.
- Perform applied research activities on accident scenarios related to electrical equipment and provide technical guidance and input for vulnerability assessments of CERN equipment and networks; lead task forces or projects on, for example, the aging of cables in CERN's accelerator environment.
- Support in safety audits and technical reviews.
- Check conformity of engineering and tendering specifications with standard safety requirements.
- Design and deliver safety training related to all electrical safety domains.
- Write CERN safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
- Experience in designing and safety validation of distribution networks and equipment, ideally RF equipment, power converters and/or particle physics detectors. Experience in the manufacturing phase would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of software packages for circuit analysis: ability to assess the conformity of a design with applicable safety standards and principles would be an asset.
- Experience in research activities related to electrical safety engineering is an advantage.
- Occupational safety and risk management: familiarity with qualitative and quantitative electrical risk assessment
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Electrical equipment design: deep knowledge of the European standards for electrical design and risk assessment. Knowledge of relevant IEC standards would be an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.01.2019.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- International travel when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HSE-OHS-XP-2018-92-LD