Design Integration Lead (2 & 3D CAD)
Design Integration Lead (2 & 3D CAD)
Closing date: 31 Jan 2019
Hours: 40 hours per week / Contract type: Full-time
Location: Hatfield (Head Office)
Description: Design Integration Lead (2 and 3D CAD)
Leading a CAD design team in the creation of Distribution Warehouse MHE Drawings/layouts.
Support the Ocado Engineering, R&D and Projects teams with regards to providing design solutions as to the integration of MHE to MHE and MHE to Building structure and M&E Services, conceptual and detailed design, for new CFC (Distribution Centres) projects, working to develop sites within the UK and overseas.
Role & Responsibilities
- Responsibility for the design solution (post concept) and accountable for ensuring that all elements integrate together such that all element fit within the space, with each other, and can be constructed and maintained. This will include the layout of MHE equipment, facilities infrastructure operational interfaces and their integration of related systems across sites.
- Integrate internal and external drawings for complete systems, sub-assemblies, etc. to produce a single suite of drawings fit for production / installation. Ensure all drawings and designs are fit for use and free from interference clashes between itself and all other parties’ elements. This role is the owner of the design solution Integration and is the point of escalation for design issues.
- Integrate the design process with internal and external parties as required. This will include the layout of MHE equipment, facilities infrastructure operational interfaces and their integration of safety related systems across site. Key interface is between internally designed MHE, externally designed MHE solutions, ensuring they integrate with the whole, and interface with the buildings teams to ensure that the building will suit the MHE and the MHE will fit within the building.
- Ensure concepts and design ideas are translated into engineered system designs, adhering to application and system requirements.
- Operate to the drawing and document control process, and ensure compliance to it, including drawing structure, layering and naming conventions, updating as required.
- Operate change management during engineering documentation updates, to ensure that configuration control is maintained, and best practice/lessons learned are recorded and shared effectively amongst peers.
- Work with the development teams, core system and application teams to deliver acceptable designs and solutions within time critical environments.
- Recognise and coordinate with outside resources, such as design subcontractors, and notify line manager / programme manager where supplementary capacity and skills may be required.
- Work with manufacturers, procurement, quality and Design Assurance to develop a manufacturable, safe and reliable installation.
- Planning and execution of work packages, delivered on time to the project scheduled milestones to a high quality standard.
- Ensure adherence to all safety, customer and functional requirements and deployment into mechanical design.
- Implement the requirements of relevant National, European and International standards on system and site design.
- Apply safe design of systems, with particular interest in motion & electrical safety, pressure and machine safety.
- Aid in the timing and scheduling of new programs with the project and development streams.
- Support CAD Engineering process, procedure and engineering document control
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- An Mechanical, Architectural or Structural design discipline to HND or Degree level, other relevant qualifications or 5+ years experience working in a relevant Mechanical/Architectural or Structural environment.
- A background in one or more of the following:
- Mechanical Engineering in MHE in the FMCG Industry, minimum 3 years is preferred, with experience in a design engineering department (Automotive, Aerospace would be considered).
- Architecture (background in Industrial Architecture Warehousing/Distribution design would be an advantage, minimum 3 years is preferred).
- Structural Engineering (Background in Structural Steel preferably experience with Steel Mezzanine structures, minimum 3 years is preferred)
- Knowledge and ability to use both 3D Autodesk Revit and/or AutoCAD 2D (Inventor/Solidworks or similar CAD experience will also be considered).
- Identifying and implementing improvement and development opportunities.
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware.
- Understanding of related design principles.
Would be an advantage but not essential.
- Trimble (Google) SketchUp knowledge.
- The ability to carry out engineering and/or structural calculations using one or more of the following:Long Hand.
- Be proactive in the performance of Department and provide advice and feedback.
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with colleges, contractors and key customers.
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Income Protection
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- 15% Ocado discount
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We will always aim to respond to everyone who applies for one of our roles. Sometimes though we have a lot of applicants and it takes us a little while to get back to everyone. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks of your application, then you should take it that you have not been successful on this occasion and accept our apologies that we didn’t manage to get back to you personally.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.
To apply: please click the APPLY button