Mechanical Simulation Engineer
Ocado is not only the world’s largest online grocery retailer; we are now developing our own highly innovative world-class logistics platform. Our first two CFCs to use this technology have gone live in record-breaking time. If you would like to join the team who took only two years to develop what our competitors have delivered in ten then this may be the role for you.
So what’s the role?
As a Mechanical Simulation Engineer, you will be responsible for calculations, simulations and modelling to support the development of complex engineering structures. The role also includes all other aspects involved in the design of the structures, for example the creation of specifications, part drawings and associated documentation.
Day to day, you’ll be:
- Using simulation software for single physics static and dynamic scenario analysis;
- Performing calculations of loads and stresses;
- Generating concepts and developing structural designs using 3D CAD modelling;
- Selecting construction material taking into consideration cost and availability;
- Drafting inputs to technical specifications including functional design specifications, and creating 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials;
- Managing technical risk, ensuring significant risks are reported and mitigated;
- Solving engineering problems in a structured and methodical manner using data to make decisions. Documenting and publishing calculations, methods and reasons for decisions;
- Traveling to other company sites and to suppliers to present work, collaborate on projects and seek advice;
- Preparing and presenting concepts and designs at reviews;
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture;
What would we like to see?
- A good Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering;
- Sound technical background in designing for components with cyclical loading and with high durability;
- High competence in using COMSOL Multiphysics or other simulation software for dynamic analysis;
- A proven track record in designing complex structures that have gone into production;
- Experience in 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks and PDM software;
- Experience of designing to BS8888 with the use of GD&T;
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage own time;
- Familiar with building and safety standards;
- Proficient in understanding and dealing with the effects of manufacturing tolerances;
We have revolutionised the online grocery world in the UK. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. In return we offer benefits such as contributory pension schemes, private medical insurance, life assurance, employee discount on Ocado.com and our speciality stores sites (Fetch, Sizzle, Fabled by Marie Claire) and an opportunity to continue with your career development. So why not come and join us on this journey.
More searches like this
- Automation Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Electro-Mechanical Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Mechanical Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager
- Project Engineering Software & Hardware jobs in Engineering Manager