Lead Product Engineer
Ocado have recently signed 4 high value and large scale international deals, we now focus on getting in the high calibre of staff needed to build and support the infrastructure around these and continue to change the way the world shops.
We are looking for someone talented to take real ownership for a product and to maintain in depth product knowledge as we expand and establish further sites.
If you have a strong attention to detail and provide technical and people management then please apply.
What is the job about?
The product engineer takes engineering ownership of released products from our development team. They carry out applications and configuration engineering of those products for our new build CFC’s around the world. Maintaining in depth product knowledge and directly supporting other teams (TDI, MSC & Implementation) during the design, manufacture and install phases of new CFC’s. Providing ongoing product support to Engineering Ops to resolve any engineering issues as well as providing valuable feedback to development team for future developments.
As a lead, you provide both technical and people leadership / management for Products and Product Engineers. Setting example, coordination of work ensuring we have global consistency, in our processes, product and support in an efficient and scalable manner.
What will I be doing?
- Carry out the configuration and application engineering detail to TDI & MSC in conjunction with the Project Realisation Engineer & planners
- Support Automation Engineering Implementation with installation expertise, ensuring best practice is followed and understood and product engineering challenges are resolved
- Ensure Production Engineering within PD have all that is required to enable them to work up solutions identified through Change Control Process
- Identify, and manage the resolution of engineering change requests and product improvements, taking full accountability and responsibility for changes on released products and be a key stakeholder for unreleased products, working closely with Technical Support colleagues
- Review, maintain and communicate related product technical documentation (including but limited to Manuals, BoM’s, install guides, PDI & SAT checklists)
- Provide engineering product support, especially during design, installation & commissioning phases
- Proactively support engineering supply chain with engineering detail, including acceptance testing, and order specification
- Work closely with our Product Development colleagues to receive new products and developments, being actively engaged during development and NPI phases to ensure successful handover of product to Central Automation Engineering team
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies). To seek guidance from the HS&E team where there is uncertainty
- Ensure product and process quality is maintained
As a lead
- Efficient workflow management of team of product engineers working to multiple projects in multiple worldwide locations
- Develop the individuals in the team
- Ensure resiliency within team
- Accountable for deliverables of your team
Establishing, maintaining and championing engineering best practice and standards
What experience do you want me to have?
- Project Engineering - demonstrable experience & success
- Field Installation of products and / or systems
- Acceptance Testing
- Deliver projects on time and within approved budgets.
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite and comfortable using CAD packages.
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Experience of projects and products in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field
- Aptitude to debate detail (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external parties
- Commercially aware and consider cost impacts on decisions and proposals
- Work in a safe manner at all times and appreciate the implications and requirements of relevant product safety and compliance
- International working experience
- Remote Product Support
- Understanding of applicable directives, codes standards etc (eg machinery directive)
- Technical / Engineering qualification, to degree level in a relevant field Ocados Automation Products require a range of specialisations, these can include (but not limited to).
- Mechanical structures
- Plastics moulding
- Functional safety
- Conveyor systems
- Electromechanical systems
As a lead:
- People management
- Coaching and development of others
- Establishing, maintaining and championing engineering best practice and standards
- Experienced with managing remote teams
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Working knowledge of a range of project management skills, tools and approaches
Able to define and establish management process
The Ocado Way
At Ocado, in everything we do, we strive to offer the very best to our customers - the best service, the best quality and the very best customer experience. That begins with each and every one of us and how we behave.
Our values are Ocado’s DNA; they act as a guide for everything we say and do. ‘The Ocado Way’ develops our values into the details about the way we do things - how we act and work together with each other and our customers. It describes how you need to behave at work to make a real and positive impact on our success.
To read more about The Ocado Way and please click here.
What are those extensive benefits you keep bragging about?
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Future desire is to have Leads office biased (70% office) and leads field biased (70% field)
Field Bias leads will ideally be focussed on a regional area eg Europe or USA
As part of your role you will need to spend initial period (approx 3-6 months) 50:50 office:field to ensure sufficient learning in role and gaining enough credible experience.
- Individuals will be assigned appropriately to match business need with skill & experience sets
More searches like this
- Design Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Manufacturing & Production Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Mechanical Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Project Engineering Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Manufacturing jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer