Project Manager - Automation and Innovation
Ocado has constructed and operates a series of large Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) to satisfy increasing demand from customers for a high-quality and reliable delivery service for online grocery orders. Further CFCs are planned, both within the UK and overseas.
The CFC's already operate with a high level of automation, but it is the role of Business Project Managers within the Design Evolution Team to develop and implement even higher levels of physical automation that can be applied both retrospectively (to existing CFCs) and to future CFCs.
This role is based at Head office in Hatfield, however the successful candidate needs to be flexible and may be required to travel to other Ocado sites within the UK if this is necessary for the successful delivery of the projects allocated.
The Design Evolution Team works with the New CFCs group and is a subset of the Logistics Projects department. The Design Evolution team is comprised of Business Project Managers with differing areas of expertise and experience, who work primarily on projects centred around MHE automation and optimally moving products / assets around our sites. These projects vary in scale and complexity and can be focussed in our current live operations as well as potential new sites we may be looking to develop.
- Conception, development and delivery of automation projects to cost, schedule and quality.
- Work with various internal and external stakeholders to ensure delivery of new and exciting projects that will develop our automated logistics platform.
- Work with other departments to identify projects that are required in order to keep pace with business aspirations regarding automation and site productivity.
- Creating and iterating business cases, project budgets and assume accountability for the budget and business case through to benefit realisation and project closure.
- Liaison with the Engineering and IT teams and other key stakeholders.
- Report directly to the Project Delivery Manager, other senior management and occasionally to Board level.
- Will also need a flexible approach as projects can be across the business and in various locations, other than your normal location, and when the project/business need requires, which might on occasion mean working different shift patterns including nights, weekends, etc.
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies). To seek guidance from the internal HS&E team where there is uncertainty.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- An experienced Project Manager with track record of managing multi-disciplined complex projects
- A high calibre candidate with a significant track record of design, delivery and analysis of end to end projects using formal project management methodology and with the ability to “do” and “drive” as well as track and plan
- An analytical mind set with strong numeracy and analysis skills. Ability to collect and interpret the correct data to establish current performance and KPI baselines
- Ability to identify, validate and select the correct course of action and prioritise potential issues, risks or opportunities
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills which convey gravitas and inspires confidence in a manner that is inclusive and collaborative with the ability to influence in a confident, confidential and diplomatic manner with all stakeholders, including senior internal and external decision makers
- Ability to clearly articulate the business requirements, goals, project scope, and develop high-level project timelines into detailed programmes
- Articulate in both verbal and written communications with the ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- The ability to deal with ambiguity and iterative development to produce a clear, coherent and concise output
- Comfortable with MS Office
- Proficient with MS Excel
- Confident with Pareto charts, histograms and analysis tools
- Experience with interpreting and adhering to relevant Acts, Regulations and Codes of Practice
- Experience with Contract documentation
- Commercially aware