Principal Power Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
General Dynamics UK is looking to recruit a Principal Power Engineer for the Specialist Vehicle Programme reporting directly to the Electronic Architecture Lead. The successful candidate will be a key player within the team who is prepared to lead from the front and work with a multi-national engineering team and the customer community. The individual will be required to work across geographical and cultural divides to draw together a comprehensive engineering capability that will derive a balanced system solution.
The role requires proven knowledge and experience on both 12V and 24V DC Electrical Systems from power storage & generation, platform protection & distribution through to qualification and acceptance of a power architecture. A desirable background relating to military vehicle/land platform design is also preferred, however is not essential.
- Co-ordinate power requirements analyses, compliance assessments and gap analyses for the AJAX Power Architecture
- Development of Power Architecture design against system requirement and constraints
- Delivery of Power documentation and artefacts to capture solution and compliance evidence
- Support the team in the definition and development of power interfaces for systems and equipment’s
- Support development of power model for power profiling, power budget assessment and performance evidence
- Work with external subcontractors and equipment suppliers to develop power interfaces
- Governance of subcontractors and equipment providers power designs against system requirements
- Internal and external design reviews with and without customer community applicable to the power systems
- Contribute towards critical programme reviews as the power system engineering conscience
- Effectively communicate design options & constraints to a multidiscipline team throughout all phases of the project
- A relevant or associated degree (or equivalent) to the role such as Electrical or Electronic engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or considerable work experience in the field
- Understanding of DC voltage laws and their application in power system design (including concept scaling through to detail component design / selection)
- Understanding of low voltage AC installation application including safety in power system design
- Experience in power & voltage disturbance sources & management techniques
- Knowledge & understanding of electrical systems in military platforms and Electromagnetic Compatibility/TEMPEST design practices (Defence Standards 61-5 and 59-411)
- Knowledge and experience of operational criteria for use of energy storage devices of differing chemical technologies
- Experience of design and integration of electrical systems into harsh environmental conditions (Defence Standard 00-35)
- Experience of Systems Engineering practice and requirements managements tools (i.e. DOORS)
- Ability to liaise with and present information to multidiscipline team members
- Ability to interpret multi-discipline design requirements and propose appropriate design solutions
- Willing to travel extensively within the UK and overseas
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written skills
- Expertise in of the Land System and Armoured Fighting Vehicle domain
- A strong background in defence systems engineering Familiar with relevant Defence Standards, Military Standards and EC Directives
- Appreciation of all Defence Lines of Development
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.