Engineer - Control and Instrumentation
Engineer - Control and Instrumentation
Would you like to work on designing crucial systems for the Dreadnought class submarines, which will replace the Vanguard Class, currently in service with the Royal Navy. BAE Systems is looking for a Engineer to join the Control and Instrumentation department in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria.
As an Engineer - C&I, you will aid with functional and spatial design of Platform Management System which is the hub of Controlling the platform.
This role will give you the opportunity to work on one of the most complex engineering programmes ever undertaken in the country, which will deliver a product of national importance.
As an Engineer - Control and Instrumentation, your main responsibilities will include:
- To obtain confirmation beyond reasonable doubt by review, surveillance and audit that those assumptions, underpinning engineering data, analysis methodologies, and interpretation of results have been validated.
- To produce evidence in support of qualification, legislative requirements and safety justifications and provide specialist support for associated activities.
- To contribute to identification and rapid closure of issues emerging from all product lifecycle stages and to manage the resulting change embodiment activities.
- To liaise with both internal and external customers as required ensuring that their requirements are adequately supported and that their needs are fully considered and incorporated where appropriate and agreed.
- To provide realistic programme status, identify problem areas and implement agreed recovery plans.
- To define the qualification obligations for the assurance hold points during build, test and commissioning.
- Provide support for assurance that the design is adequate i.e. it is robust, in providing supporting documentation for the safety case.
- To be able to access, have a clear understanding of and apply the Quality and HS&E Management System documentation e.g. Process Instructions, Workmanship Standards, Risk Assessments etc. applicable to your particular work scope and to obey all HS&E rules and control measures.
As an Engineer - Control and Instrumentation, your skills and qualifications must include:
BEng (Hons) / MEng or equivalent in relevant field
A knowledge of distributed control systems, instrumentation and engineering design
Demonstrable leadership and communication skills.
Relevant sector experience in comparable industry
Be working towards CEng
As an Engineer - Control and Instrumentation, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
Demonstrable knowledge of defence standards (DefStan) would be beneficial
What we're looking for in you:
We are looking for you to be technically minded, but confident to communicate both with internal engineering teams, and suppliers. You should have a detail-driven, methodical approach to your work, and capability to mentor those around you.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
We pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems Maritime - Submarines
BAE Systems Maritime Submarine has been safely delivering world class submarines to the Royal Navy for more than a century. BAE Systems Maritime Submarine is home to the design, build, test and commissioning of the Astute class - the Royal Navy's latest and most capable generation of attack submarines. In total seven of these state-of-the-art vessels will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Split across nine UK locations, and with more than 5,000 employees, the business is also the industry lead for the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines.
Inspiring Work, Inspiring People
BAE Systems welcomes applications from all sections of the community.