Rolls-Royce has an excellent opportunity for a Site Engineer-Simulators based at HMNB Clyde, Faslane.
The Manoeuvring Room Trainers (MRTs) play a vital role in the training, assessment and qualification of Nuclear Steam Raising Plant (NSRP) Manoeuvring Room Operators, providing pre-joining training, continuation team training, fleet-board training and initial boat qualification.
They provide students with basic and advanced training in panel operations, communications procedures, propulsion and ancillary equipment, system surveillance and emergency situations which would be dangerous or impossible to achieve on a live plant. The MRTs are a mandatory part of the training, qualification and regular re-qualification of all Royal Navy reactor plant operators. Reliable operation and high availability of the MRTs are therefore essential to ensure adequately qualified personnel are available for submarine operations.
The primary responsibility of the simulators team is to ensure consistent availability of the MRTs in support of the training and qualifying of Royal Navy crews. As part of this the current contract has conditional quarterly payments for ensuring that the simulators achieve the required availability target. At HMNB Clyde the Vanguard Class Simulator is used for continuation training for Royal Navy staff at all levels and fleet boards.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
Our civil nuclear business provides nuclear reactor vendors and utility operators with integrated, long-term support services and solutions spanning the whole reactor lifecycle, from concept design through to obsolescence management and plant-life extension. Safety-critical systems have been supplied to around 50% of the global nuclear power plants in service and we've been a key player in the nuclear industry for more than 50 years
- Meeting the In Service Support Targets on availability and MTTR during core times-by maintaining the facilities and carrying out repairs with support from the central team.
- Updating the MRT Database with running hours and defects.
- Post Design Services activities; agreeing test criteria and supporting site acceptance testing with Derby personnel.
- Hardware, software and network fault finding; the ability to diagnose and repair faults safely, quickly and effectively.
- Training Royal Navy personnel in simulator Start-Up and Shutdown procedures.
- Liaising with Royal Navy personnel on a daily basis as the sole Roll-Royce Simulator representative at site.
- Performing periodic audits of stores equipment, completion of periodic maintenance checks and repairs.
- Maintaining registered documents, software for monthly spot checks and completing security forms for visitors.
- Infrequent travel to Derby, Devonport and HMS Sultan for progress reviews and site cover.
- Ability to analyse problems in a structured approach and identify solutions, fault find on electrical/electronic and computer systems in a safe, methodical manner, preferably with experience of using Profibus networks.
- IT skills, e.g. install Operating System onto a blank hard drive or identify, obtain and install hardware drivers, and general knowledge: Word, Excel, Access.
- Liaising with other resident Simulator Site Engineers at Sultan and Faslane and Derby personnel to provided support to ensure the Simulators maintains their contracted availability targets.
- Ability to work independently and take a proactive approach to managing work.
- Desirable to have experience of basic programming experience, e.g. VBA for Excel and Access.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Pioneer power for life. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.
We are an equal opportunities employer.
This role is subject to full UK security clearance.