Radiation Protection Technical Engineer
As Radiation Protection Technical Engineer, you will work in the RP Accelerator and Sites Section.
You will mainly but not exclusively:
- Assess radiological risks at work places in accelerator tunnels, experimental areas, laboratories and workshops of CERN and take the necessary measures to ensure the respect of CERN regulations and good practices;
- Perform radiation measurements in various, static and dynamic high energy, multi-particle radiation fields;
- Perform work and dose planning, elaborate safety measures and working procedures;
- Process, evaluate and analyse technical data and write technical and survey reports. Report to stakeholders (line management, auditors, etc.);
- Coordinating the technical supervision of personnel or contractors in the application of radiation protection and general safety measures and working procedures;
- Provide advice to waste producers within CERN on radioactive waste handling, packaging and transport as well as on radiation protection matters linked to this activity;
- Develop new elimination pathways for radioactive waste and coordinate the follow up of the different phases of treatment, packaging and validation in view of the disposal of radioactive waste could be part of your activities within the Group.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of radiation protection and experience of radiation protection and/or radioactive waste, or a related field.
- Experience in operational radiation protection with knowledge of measurement principles and use of radiation measurement devices (gamma spectrometry, scintillation counting techniques).
- Experience in implementing radiation protection guidance for users.
- Experience in management and elimination of radioactive waste and decommissioning projects.
- Knowledge of radiation exposure and protection.
- Knowledge of measurement techniques for ionizing radiation.
- Knowledge of radioactive waste management.
- Knowledge of regulatory framework and best practice in radiation protection
- Spoken and written French or English with the willingness to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.03.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: HSE-RP-2019-15-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Radiation Protection Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further