Consultant Engineer - Electrical Power Systems
Consultant Engineer - Electrical Power Systems
Would you like to work on supporting the design for the Dreadnought class submarine for the Royal Navy? We are looking for a Power Systems Modelling technical specialist to join and support technical capability growth of the Power System Modelling team in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria.
As a Consultant Engineer - Electrical Power Systems, you will technically lead and support the Power System Analysis team (including power system protection). The role involves the development, generation and verification of power system equipment models through computer simulation and verification via analysis of real life testing results.
This role will give you the opportunity to work on one of the most complex engineering programmes ever undertaken in the country, which will deliver a product of national importance.
As a Consultant Engineer - Electrical Power Systems, your main responsibilities will include:
- Development of steady state and transient power system equipment models (including control systems)
- Validation and modification of power systems models through computer simulation and real life result analysis
- Development and validation of a holistic power system model in order to support power system stability and compatibility analysis through computer simulations and real world validation
- Supporting the generation of individual equipment and system wide test forms required to inform and verify the holistic power system model
- Providing support and assurance that the power system model is fit for purpose in terms of stability and compatibility in order to de-risking real life platform scenarios
- Representing the company technically at supplier and customer engagement sessions to present findings and propose solutions
- Generation and checking of AC and DC system fault and protection co-ordination studies
- Authoring and technical approval of power system modelling reports.
As a Consultant Engineer - Electrical Power Systems your skills and qualifications must include:
- Degree or Master's degree qualified (or equivalent) in Electrical Engineering
- Experience within one or more of the following backgrounds:
- Power system modelling experience (using tools such as Matlab, Simulink or SimPowerSystems)
- Power system protection modelling tool set experience
- PhD working with the above activities
- Power System Analysis of AC and DC systems
- Chartered status
What we're looking for in you:
We are looking for you to be technically minded, but confident to communicate both with internal engineering teams, and suppliers. You should have a detail-driven, methodical approach to your work, and capability to mentor those around you.
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria (potential for some home working/ 4 day week)
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.