Senior Control Systems Engineer
Are you an experienced control system engineer with excellent leadership, communication, and influencing skills?
Do you have proven experience of leading control systems and software development activities?
RACE is a leading laboratory, solution provider and operator of robotics and autonomous systems. We create innovative machines that combine advanced control systems, intricate mechanical designs, state-of-the-art sensing, and extraordinary performance. We also develop sophisticated VR, optimisation, and planning tools to enhance these systems.
We have a dynamic, and highly motivated team of over 150 engineers, scientists and technicians devoted to building systems that perform tasks in some of the most extreme environments in the world.
As the lead control systems engineer and subject matter expert, you will have responsibility for:
-The design and production of advanced robotic control systems
-Conducting related research and development activities
-Leading RACE projects with control systems expertise, producing control hardware and software for robotic remote handling and related systems
-Working on the design and execution of advanced research projects
-Leading complex interdisciplinary, and multi-organisational collaborative engineering and development projects
RACE`s work is applied across a diverse range of challenging applications and industries. As a business unit of the UK Atomic Energy Authority, RACE is at the forefront of developing fusion technology to provide a clean and sustainable energy source for future generations. In addition to a competitive salary we offer an outstanding pension, world class benefits and a unique working environment.
We are looking for an established and highly experienced technical lead, in order to become the expert in the design, implementation, and commissioning of real-time robotic control systems. We require you to have advanced knowledge of a range of control systems techniques, devices, systems, and approaches, as well as expert knowledge in overall control systems architecture. If you have previous experience of implementing control systems for robotics in hazardous environments (including radiation), this would be highly advantageous.
If you have excellent technical skills, and love to solve challenging problems in collaboration with like-minded people, then please apply.
Knowledge skills and experience
- PhD or Master`s degree in Control Engineering or a related subject
- Proven experience of designing and implementing control systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to function as part of a team
- An excellent working knowledge of English
- Understanding of control theory and mathematical techniques (ideally applicable to manipulator robotics)
- Strong programming capability with C++
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Understanding of software engineering processes including lifecycle, version control, documentation
- Experience with network-based communications, E.g. TCP, UDP, DDS
- Experience working with mobile robotics
- Experience with computer graphics & VR
- Understanding of sensor fusion techniques
- Experience of Computer Vision
- Professional registration (IET, BCS, InstMC or similar)
- International travel to customers` and collaborators` sites may be required
- On-call / shift work may occasionally be required
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
More searches like this
- Automation Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Control & Instrumentation Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Design Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Research and Development Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer