Lead Field Engineer
Want to to join a world-leading online grocery retailer with a pioneering business model?
Then keep reading!
Ocado is a FTSE 100 business developing its own technology and new customer propositions, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships in the UK and internationally!
Due to this recent growth and success, we're looking to expand our Central Automation Engineering team with a Lead Field Engineer. This role will directly support the Product Engineers with all 'in field' activities, maintaining in-depth, practical product knowledge across all products (whether developed in house or externally sourced). This person will also have exposure to and support the Technical Design & Integration, Manufacturing & Supply Chain and Implementation teams during the design, manufacture and installation phases.
As a Lead - as well as resolving technical/engineering issues and giving valuable feedback for future developments - you will also be required to provide people leadership/management for a small team of field engineers (and any additional contracted resource). Setting examples and implementing efficient and scalable processes will be vital to ensure global consistencies.
While the role is technically based at our Head Office in Hatfield, around 80% of the Lead Field Engineer's time will be spent working across our sites in the UK, Europe and (initially) North America. Ability and flexibility to travel will therefore be crucial.
- Support Automation Engineering Implementation with installation expertise and ensure product engineering challenges are resolved
- Identify and manage the resolution of engineering change requests and product improvements, taking full accountability for changes on released products
- Be a key stakeholder for unreleased products
- Review, maintain and communicate related product technical documentation (including but limited to Manuals, BoM’s, install guides, PDI & SAT checklists)
- Provide engineering product support (especially during design, installation & commissioning phases)
- Proactively support engineering supply chain with engineering detail, including acceptance testing, and order specification
- Work closely with the Product Development team to receive new products and developments
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal
- Efficient workflow management of a team of product engineers (working on multiple projects in multiple worldwide locations)
- Develop individuals in the team
- Accountable for deliverables of the team
Minimum skills/experience required:
- Demonstrable experience/success in a Project Engineering environment
- Field Installation of products and/or systems
- Experience working in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution (or similar)
- Acceptance Testing
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite and comfortable using CAD packages
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Appreciate the implications and requirements of relevant product safety and compliance
- International working experience (including remote product support and managing remote teams)
- Understanding of applicable directives, codes standards etc (e.g. machinery directive)
- People management
- Technical / Engineering qualification to degree level in a relevant field including (but not limited to):
- Mechanical structures
- Plastics moulding
- Functional safety
- Conveyor systems
- Electromechanical systems
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income protection
- Share schemes
- 15% Ocado discount
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.