Principal Research Scientist
Summary of Key Responsibilities and Role
The Research Scientist will lead and manage a range of research projects and lead the prioritisation and planning for research led work-streams and development projects as directed by the Principal Research Scientist. These will include the development and implementation of algorithms for medical devices covering sensors (calibration), signal processing, feature extraction, data fusion, machine and deep learning.
In addition, the work will also require the implementation of activities to support good research practices for software and systems engineering development appropriate to medical devices. This role will also cover the handover (and close working) with the development team of the algorithms and design documents. The Research Scientist will also undertake tasks for publications, and to support intellectual property and patents.
The individual will also conduct key research activities as required to support the development of medical devices and clinical investigations.
- Work alongside the CSO, Technical Director and Principal Research Scientist to prioritise and plan all research related activities, work streams and projects.
- Lead the development and implementation of algorithms to support medical devices and major clinical trials.
- Develop mathematical models, software and design documents for handover to the development team.
- Support the identification and documentation of new intellectual property and patents.
- Publish results in conference and / or journal papers.
- Lead specific research projects as required.
- Interface and collaborate with external research partners as applicable.
- Maintain development and program documentation to a standard required by various medical regulatory and quality standards.
- Mentor team members and foster and cultivate an atmosphere of learning and self-development.
Key Knowledge & Required skills
- MSc or PhD in Mathematics, Data Science, Physics, Machine Learning or Engineering.
- Strong track record of algorithm development and implementation, ideally for a medical device.
- Should be in a professional body and either be chartered or working towards a Chartership and /or Fellowship.
- A keen advocate for self-development and able to mentor team members and foster an atmosphere of learning and self-development.
- Significant experience of working in signal processing (e.g. Digital filtering, frequency and time domain analysis, sensor array processing, wavelet analysis, etc.).
- Ability to demonstrate the application of signal processing in support of research projects or the development of a new device / technology.
- Experience in applied machine learning including clustering, dimensionality reduction, classification (Logistic Regression, KNN, SVM, Naive Bayes, Random Forest etc.) and validation and performance methods including bootstrapping, stratified sampling, cross-validation, confusion matrix (specificity, sensitivity, NPV and PPV) and ROC.
- Experience in applied Deep learning including Neural Networks and Convolutive Neural Networks (MathWorks, Python & TensorFlow).
- Knowledge of physiological signal processing (e.g. ECG, MCG, EEG, MEG) or knowledge of cardiac physiology.
- Demonstrable expertise in physiological features extraction (e.g. Hidden Markov Models, Wavelet Encoding, ECG & MCG morphically).
- Time series analysis (e.g. anomaly detection, prediction, epoching, independent component analysis).
- Proficient in Python and or R, MATLAB, C, C++, C# (would also be an advantage).
- A good understanding of software engineering and system requirement principles including the design, implementation, and verification and validation stages.
- Experience in sensor calibration (bias, scaling, magnetometer calibration for soft and hard iron constraints).
- Track record of scientific publications and presentation at scientific conferences.
- Project planning and project management skills.
- An ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally if and when required.
- Must have a current and valid UK / European driving licence.
- Must have unrestricted right to work in the UK.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE