Senior System Engineer – Symbology
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
GDUK Engineering operates a matrix organisation. This role is within the Systems Engineering discipline. The purpose of the role is to make a significant contribution to the integration, test and delivery of C4I Systems on GDUK programmes through application of world class Systems Engineering expertise. This role may require the candidate to travel in support of the programme objectives. The programme offers an opportunity to provide System Engineering effort on a variety of MoD integration and delivery programmes. The work will cover a variety of activities including:
- Configuring a suite of communications and infrastructure equipment in accordance with a system architecture document.
- Analysis of third party applications for suitability of integration onto communications infrastructure.
- Producing Requirements for Test suitable to exercise the integration of applications onto an infrastructure.
- Performing a number of trials and tests to establish the characteristics of the proposed equipment configuration.
- Documenting all activities in manner suitable to enhance the understanding of both technical and non-technical audiences
- Analysis of Complex systems in order to define and structure strategies for integration.
- Develop and document requirements for system integration and testing activities on C4I programmes.
- Provide representation of the systems under test through System modelling language (SysML).
- Support the development of appropriate integration and testing strategies.
- Support the detailed planning to successfully execute the identified strategy.
- Define test requirements, specifications and scripts
- Manage the defined integration activities.
- Manage the test execution, results and associated data.
- Production of test reports and associated test conclusions.
- Support the status reporting of integration and test activities.
- Support the continuous improvement of integration and testing processes, procedures and tools.
- Proven methodical analytical fault finding skills - comfortable working in a technical laboratory while adhering to lab rules e.g. PPE and safe handling.
- Technical competence in integration and testing of complex software based systems.
- Understanding of communications: ability to orient a problem under investigation against the Internet and OSI Reference Models, and good understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite and basic routing technologies.
- Pro-active and flexible approach to resolution of issues to required timescales.
- Excellent written communication skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Visio. Ability to generate well-structured technical documents and meeting minutes. Ability to manage documents through a review process, and achieve document release to committed deadlines.
- Excellent verbal communication skills. Ability to present formally at progress reviews with internal and external customers.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of C++, C# and/or Application Programming Interface would be an advantage
- Knowledge of ADatP-3 in MTF and XML, preferably with exposure to the UK implementation within the Land Environment Message Set.
- Knowledge of SA and Track exchange utilizing APP-6 and MIL-STD-2525 symbol & interoperability standards including but not limited to NFFI, FFI and CoT.
- Exposure of BMAs & other military applications including but not limited to the currently fielded BISAs.
- Appreciation of some of the technical considerations in the application of SA and track exchange to BMA digital mapping and messaging.
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Project
- HPALM/Rational CLM or equivalent
- Degree in a relevant Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or IT discipline (or equivalent experience).
- Technical experience in the application of the systems engineering process in a Defence design and development environment
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.