We are currently seeking a qualified and experienced Instrument Engineer to join our team at Fawley Refinery and Chemical Plant. The largest refinery in the UK, Fawley is a combined refining, lubricants and chemicals manufacturing site which is located on the South coast of England, on the edge of the New Forest National Park.
Instrument Engineers are responsible for providing specialist engineering, technical and safety orientated support to the Process and Maintenance Teams for equipment ranging from field instrumentation to complex protective systems.
Job Role Responsibilities
The key responsibilities are to:
- Provide technical support to the Operations Team in the resolution of key equipment integrity and operational issues.
- Plan overhaul and upgrades and attend repair facilities for interface and witness activities as appropriate.
- Maintain the lifecycle technical integrity of the installations by ensuring appropriate maintenance and equipment strategies, engineering standards, procedures and guidance documents are adhered to in all activities.
- Assist maintenance with troubleshooting and conduct spares reviews where required.
- Provide technical support to loss investigations, root cause investigations and action follow up activities where directed.
- Assess performance and condition monitoring results, ensuring appropriate follow up with other discipline interfaces as necessary.
- Act as the key focal point for discipline modifications and ensures all temporary or permanent modifications are technically assessed, meet appropriate standards and correctly endorsed.
- Attend factory acceptance tests as required.
- Review and aproval of engineering and design documentation, technical reports and management system documentation where directed.
- Support for project development from inital concept through engineering, commissioning and startup and all phases of asset operational life.
- Support engineering, deployment and sustainment of Wireless Equipment Monitoring networks. Collaborates with IT specialists and external vendors/ specialists in developing IT/OT engineering solutions
The role is based at our Fawley site, near Southampton, which is the largest and most technically complex refining and petrochemical facility in the UK.
The successful candidate will work within a competent Process Control engineering team, which is part of the larger Fawley Area Engineering Service (FAES) Department. The FAES Department comprises of approximately 100 multidisciplinary engineers and technicians, and provides technical support across the Fawley refining and petrochemical facility.
Expected Level of Proficiency
To be eligible for this role, you should:
- Hold an engineering degree, or equivalent qualification.
- Have relevant instrument engineering experience in an operational environment, preferably at a COMAH facility in the refining or petrochemical sector (five years+ as a guide). Candidates with less than five years’ experience, but who have a high degree of relevant industry experience will also be considered.
- Understanding of key legislation and regulatory framework applicable to UK with detailed knowledge of major accident hazards, performance standards, assurance and verification activities is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of industry engineering practices, codes and standards and their application to development and management of lifecycle asset integrity assurance programmes. Good knowledge of other discipline functions e.g. Operations, Inspection, Engineering and Process.
- Sound knowledge of hazard identification and risk assessment techniques and management of change processes and tools.
- Have strong IT skills, specifically being an experienced and competent user of Microsoft Office – including Excel and Word.
- Experience in computer networks and different communication protocols is desirable.
Candidates should also have demonstrated work experience and / or knowledge of:
- Sizing and selection of field instrumentation such as flow, pressure, temperature and level equipment
- Sizing and selection of control valves
- Technical drawings such as loop drawings, P&IDs, logic diagrams, technical manuals & Cause & Effect diagrams
- The maintenance requirements for instrumentation to ensure long term reliability
- ATEX for hazardous areas
- Protective systems, including IEC 61511, HIMA and Triconex equipment
- Fire & Gas detection systems
- Understanding of PLCs and their application in the process control sector
- Machinery monitoring equipment and its application, experience with Bently Nevada systems an advantage
- Machinery Control systems such as GE Mk V is desirable
Successful candidates should possess a broad range of personal effectiveness and leadership skills, with the ability to facilitate and influence business decisions in a team environment.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidates will be made a conditional offer of employment. The conditions include, but are not limited to: a satisfactory criminal records disclosure; satisfactory employment references over five years (where applicable); verification of qualifications, including any professional accreditation stated in the application; completion of a pre-employment medical, including a test for illicit or unprescribed drugs in accordance with the Company's safety policies; and the legal right to work on the agreed commencement date.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
ExxonMobil and its United Kingdom subsidiary companies, Esso Petroleum Company, Limited, and ExxonMobil Chemical Limited, are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. All applicants are offered equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities during our recruitment processes, therefore, please contact the Recruitment Team if you wish to discuss any particular requirements to enable you to complete our recruitment process.
More searches like this
- Chemical & Process Oil & Gas jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Control & Instrumentation Oil & Gas jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Maintenance & Service Oil & Gas jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Project Engineering Oil & Gas jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Other Oil & Gas jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer