Vehicle Systems Senior Engineer – Mobility
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The objective of the Senior Vehicle Systems Engineer is to support the mechanical design team in delivering Mobility and Platform engineering requirements for multiple engineering projects: including the AJAX Vehicle Programme and future business.
The candidate will work within a team of engineers reporting to the Lead Engineer and will be given responsibility for aspects of the Engineering activity associated primarily within the AJAX Mobility and Platform domain. The role requires a breadth of Engineering skills combined with good people skills and a ‘can do’ attitude to deliver on time, on cost to support a demanding programme schedule. An ability to learn quickly on the job and be a proactive self-starter will be required
- To support and manage the delivery of vehicle mobility performance and platform related requirements
- To lead vehicle trials and provide technical support in order to obtain vehicle verification, validation evidence and subsystem design assurance
- To manage and lead Route Cause Analysis (RCA) of platform and automotive related incidents
- Support to production activities relating to the Mobility and Platform domain product.
- Preparation, configuration and change management of Mobility and Platform related Engineering artefacts (specifications, interface control documents, test specifications, test reports etc.)
- Liaison with the customer during design reviews/workshops etc.
- Liaison with subcontractors including governance and design reviews/workshops.
- System and Sub-system issues management and resolution including reporting.
- Support the change management process for sub-contract and customer contract changes.
- To carry out impact assessments on automotive related subsystems
- Provide information and metrics to the Team Lead to enable management reporting
- Demonstrable, significant, proven experience in the production of high quality design documentation and artefacts of automotive sub-systems ideally with regard to tracked vehicles.
- Technical experience in the application of systems engineering processes in a design and development environment.
- Demonstrable, significant, proven experience in the management and delivery of test activities
- Proven ability to perform structured trade studies and decision making.
- Proven, methodical, approach.
- Demonstrable, significant, proven experience in interfacing with suppliers and customers.
- Pro-active approach to resolution of issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven and well developed time management skills
- Carry out mobility modelling and simulation using multibody dynamic simulation tools such as MSC ADAMS desirable
- Practical understanding of vibration, associated Signal Processing and Analysis such as nCode Glyphworks desirable
- Typically requires degree level education, and a wide range of relevant experience, or equivalent.
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent demonstrable experience
- Experience of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Experience of wheeled and tracked vehicles
- Experience working in the Defence industry or military vehicles would be beneficial but not essential
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.