Engineer for Tests of Superconducting Magnets
This position combines two main activities: test engineering and new installations for measurements.
As a Test Engineer, you will:
- Be responsible for the test preparation, testing and subsequent thorough analysis of tests.
- Coordinate the different teams responsible for the magnets, cryogenics, powering and protection - including the supervision of technicians in the field.
- Perform data analysis and interpretation of measurements.
- Implement the necessary algorithms for the analysis of the recorded data during tests, perform analysis and establish correlations between measurements and the magnet design.
- Communicate and liaise the test results between different teams and report to the line and project management.
- Write reports and present scientific publications related to the test results.
- Supervise the work of students and fellows when necessary.
As an Engineer for test stand construction, you will:
- Develop new installations for measurements.
- Participate to the conceptual design of the test stand for the different projects.
- Coordinate work during the conception and construct/modify the existing or new test stands.
- Coordinate and follow up the installation work of the new test stands.
- Verify conformity, participate in hardware commissioning, and ensure the safety in the installations during the whole period of the construction.
Master's degree, PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electro-mechanical engineering, superconductors, or related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Cryogenic testing superconducting magnets or components built with materials such as NbTi, Nb3Sn, MgB2, HTS.
- Sound knowledge on electrical instrumentations (as thermometers, strain gauges, level meters, valves etc).
- Interpretation in electrical/electronic circuit signals.
- Data analysis and code development.
- Data acquisition (typically NI cards), and data treatment (DIadEm, MATLab, LabView or similar).
- Coordination of activities within a multidisciplinary team.
- Electro-mechanical devices.
Experience in the following fields will be an asset:
- Knowledge in the domain of cryogenics and vacuum for superconducting magnets, devices, and test installations.
- A good understanding of principles of safety systems.
- Construction, test and installation of superconducting magnets and systems: in particular test of superconducting magnets and devices.
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques.
- Measurement and analysis of magnets: in particular superconducting magnets and devices.
- Analysis and interpretation of experimental data.
- Quench protection of superconducting magnets.
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications, documentation and/or scientific reports.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.04.2019.
Contract type: limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: TE-MSC-TF-2019-14-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further