Associate Patent Examiner
Associate Patent Examiner
We are recruiting around 15 associate patent examiners in the fields of electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications engineering, computer systems engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, physics and mathematics. We are particularly interested in engineers with experience in telecommunications engineering, electrical and electronic engineering and computer systems engineering.
Patent examiners require:
- at least a 2:2 degree or equivalent in a relevant science, engineering, computer science or mathematics subject
- or relevant industrial experience at that level
- GCSE/O-level grade C or above in Mathematics and English is also required.
All legal training is provided.
Intellectual property is essential for stimulating creativity and innovation. The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the government agency responsible for intellectual property and we maintain a clear and accessible intellectual property system in the UK which encourages innovation and helps the economy and society to benefit from knowledge and ideas. We help people get the right type of protection from their creation or invention.
Patents in particular are an important tool for stimulating innovation and growth. They grant monopoly rights of up to 20 years in return for a full disclosure of an invention.
The IPO administers the UK patent system and employs around 350 science and engineering professionals to examine patents across all areas of technology. The role of the patent examiner is to grant high quality patents for inventions which are genuinely new and inventive.
- Patent examining offers an unusual opportunity to combine scientific and technical expertise with legal skills.
- Successful candidates will receive comprehensive structured training and mentoring in the legal skills and knowledge required, as well as in the professional searching skills necessary for carrying out the patent examiner role.
- Patent examiners combine these legal skills and searching skills with their well-developed analytical ability and their technical knowledge to determine if the invention is new and inventive and whether the application satisfies other legal requirements.
Start dates and salary
- The start date is 2 September 2019
- A £3030 allowance is included in the starting salary package which overall currently starts at £29,061.
- In addition a further £4040 allowance is available for posts in telecommunications, bringing the starting salary package for these posts to £33,101
Diversity and Inclusion at the IPO
- Stonewall top 100 employer
- Top 10 in Government
- Winner of Stonewall’s Senior Champion of the Year award
- Top 10 employer for Working Families
- Business Disability Forum - Disability Confident Leader
- Silver rating for the Business in the Community race benchmark
- Higher than Public Sector average rating in Chwarae Teg’s Fairplay benchmark
- Achieved the ‘Large employer of the year’ award at the National Apprenticeship Awards 2017
In order to apply you will need to write a personal statement of up to 750 words. you will also need to complete the form available here and attach it to your online application. Your application will not be considered if this form is omitted.
In your personal statement you should provide evidence of the following:
- Degree-level knowledge or equivalent experience in a relevant technical field and an ability to apply that knowledge in practical situations, drawing on any relevant research projects and/or technical industrial experience.
- Well-developed analytical skills to analyse, understand and evaluate technically complex scientific and/or engineering information and an ability to reach conclusions quickly, accurately and decisively.
- Strong ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, and with sensitivity and respect for others.
- Location: The Office is based in Newport, South Wales
- All enquiries to email@example.com
- Address: Concept House, Cardiff Road, Newport, NP10 8QQ
- Close date: 6th May 2019
Intellectual Property Office is an operating name of the Patent Office