Mechanical Project Engineers
Mechanical Project Engineers
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
£33,000 - £40,000 (Engineer), £40,000 - £50,000 (Senior Engineer) - dependent upon qualifications and experience and inclusive of annual allowance
Full Time and Part Time positions available
Excellent opportunities for skilled Mechanical Engineers to work in a leading science environment offering exceptional employee benefits.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multi-disciplinary research organisations.
Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At STFC’s ISIS facility, a world-leading scientific research centre, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
About The Role
There are currently several opportunities for Mechanical Project Engineers to join the ISIS Design Division on either a full time or part time basis, working closely with fellow engineers and scientists; specifying, designing, procuring and developing bespoke mechanical and electrical equipment and complex systems for the facility.
Our project engineers are responsible for delivering engineering solutions for scientific requirements within a project environment, and full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one off components and larger, complex systems.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Project scheduling, budgeting, planning and reporting.
- Production of mechanical designs and drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others.
- Presentation of designs for peer and stakeholder review.
- Managing both internal staff and external contract design and detailing effort.
- Coordinating the activities of various technical disciplines.
- Managing tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs.
Successful applicants will be appointed at either Band D (Engineer) or Band E (Senior Engineer) of STFC’s staffing hierarchy, depending on the strength of your skills, experience and qualifications.
Suitable candidates will have a combination of formal engineering qualifications and relevant experience.
You will have proven experience in the design and engineering procurement environment with a focus on the appliance of functional mechanical engineering solutions to real world problems, along with an understanding of Project Management techniques and best practices.
You should also demonstrate:
- A background in mechanical engineering for high technology organisations or national scientific laboratories.
- A track record of coordinating a number of different technical disciplines across a broad range of tasks to achieve overall project goals.
- Experience in the Production of mechanical designs and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others.
- Experience in producing one off practical engineering solutions to meet common mechanical and scientific specifications.
- Experience of precision and general manufacturing techniques and supply chains.
Experience of people management and strategic planning is desirable.
You should display excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a high level of drive, enthusiasm and focus on the achievement of goals, an organised approach to complex problems, and a strong ability to think creatively, to seek and accept change and continuous improvement.
STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter detailing your suitability for the role.
The closing date for applications is 19th May, however applicants will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.