Mechanical and Electrical Engineer – Cambridge and Antarctica
Job reference: BAS 52/19
Contract type: Full Time
Duration: Fixed-Term Appointment (4 Years)
Salary: Starting from £30,357 per annum.
Benefits: We offer generous benefits
Team: Estates team
Location: Cambridge with regular duty in Antarctica.
Closing date: 28 April, 2019 11:59 pm
The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is seeking a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer to join the Estates Team. The role will be based in Cambridge but will involve regular duty in the polar regions, principally at Halley VI Research Station.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced facilities or maintenance engineer in either the electrical or mechanical discipline. You must be happy to work in a remote location and be part of a small knit team to deliver the operational goals.
Halley is a remote Antarctic research station supporting world-class science. The chosen candidate will manage and organise the maintenance of the services & buildings infrastructure at Halley VI. You will share the responsibility for the upkeep of MEP systems, CHP systems, water production and waste water treatment systems and processes on station. You will be required to spend two to three months at Halley during the Antarctic summer.
Provide technical support to the Facilities Engineer in day-to-day operations of Halley VI.
NVQ, HNC or BTEC in appropriate discipline or equivalent experience.
- Work closely with the Halley facilities Engineer and share the responsibility to support building infrastructure and life support systems.
- Provide either mechanical or electrical engineering support to Halley IV in your specific engineering field. To work closely with site engineers to provide comfortable living and working environment to support world-class science.
- Develop the station systems to ensure efficient opening and closing of the station each season in order to provide maximum support to scientific works.
- Help manage the small but multi-disciplined engineering team in a remote environment.
- Implementation and management of the planned preventative maintenance programme using software. Ensure the site complies with statutory regulations and all information logged appropriately.
- Ensure that the Health & Safety Policy is implemented including risk and COSHH assessments.
- Preparation & upkeep of documentation including manuals, reports, method statements and procedures.
- Support with the recruitment, training and line management of staff deployed on stations.
- Plan the procurement of spares & consumables for stations on an annual basis.
- Implementation of the Environmental policy, promoting energy saving initiatives.
- To be proactive in acting as an integral part of the station management team, including regular liaison and review meetings. Ensuring all mangers are fully aware of Estates workloads.
- To become a member of the Halley response team and participate in training to include but not limited to: Advanced 1st aid, Search and rescue, Aircraft fire fighting, Breathing apparatus and Major incident response.
- Other duties as required by the BAS Director.
On-line application forms and further information are available on our website – please click apply for more information / to open a new window to our careers page.
These are also available from the Human Resources Section, British Antarctic Survey, High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0ET. Tel: (01223) 221400.
Please quote reference: BAS 52/19
Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 28th April 2019
Interview date: w/c 7th May 2019
BAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic minorities and disabled people are currently under-represented and their applications are particularly welcome. We operate a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are open to a range of flexible working options including part-time or full-time employment as well as flexible hours due to caring or other commitments.
More searches like this
- Electrical Sciences jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Maintenance & Service Sciences jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Mechanical Sciences jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Scientific Sciences jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Research and Development Sciences jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer