Would you like the opportunity to play a key role in the Cost Engineering / Estimating Function in support to Future and In Service Royal Navy Submarine programmes within Complex Systems and Support (CS&S) Commercial Department at BAE Systems Submarines?
Complex Systems and Support (CS&S) is a business area that continues to grow to meet the demands of design, development and supply of technology leading complex systems into the In-Service, Astute Class, Dreadnought Class and future submarine programmes. As a Cost Engineer, you will take a key role in the compilation of estimates and other detailed costing information as part of the Cost Engineering function in estimating, pricing and tendering activities. We can offer training and growth in this field to candidates with the right aptitude and appetite.
As a Cost Engineer, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Produce labour and material estimates, including creation of cost models.
- Understand and implement the LCM and Tender Vet process and participate in relevant meetings.
- Understand the QMAC and its application within Cost Engineering.
- Preparing cost engineering information to support relevant areas.
- Support the procurement process on all aspects of suppliers pricing.
- Investigate out-turn records to enable reconciliation/comparison with the contract price.
- Undertake the costing of change proposals.
- Provide man-hour budgets and advice to production departments for project monitoring purposes.
- Compile Bills of Materials, Quantities and Norms.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships both internal and external, and support negotiations with all customers (e.g. MoD CAAS).
- Understand customer requirements, both Technical and Contractual.
- Undertake Contract Administration including resolution of problems, and support final costing of Commercial projects.
- Understand the impact of inflation/price variation when bidding and performing contracts.
- Monitor labour and material spends against contract using uniform/appropriate work breakdown structure.
- Make recommendations, implement and document, uniform systems/processes across all of cost engineering activities.
- Managing and resolving customer queries and issues in areas of responsibility, escalating significant problems as appropriate and highlighting trends and emerging issues
- Generating 'should cost' estimates for the purchase of major equipment and provision of estimating support to negotiations with suppliers
As a Cost Engineer it is essential that your skills and qualifications include:
- Educated to HNC Level or higher or equivalent in a technical/operational skill set or appropriate relevant experience
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft packages
- First class numeracy skills
What we're looking for in you:
You will be analytical and have strong problem solving qualities, attention to detail and a questioning mind. You will be confident and proactive within a team environment.
Location: Frimley, Surrey
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Employee Referral Scheme bonus = (if applicable)
Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Apply for Cost Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly