Drives & Power Systems Engineer (PB)
- As a member of a multi-disciplined team, deliver full (MW-scale) Converter, Power and Systems solutions and detailed analysis using simulation software for systems incorporating, (but not limited to) power generation, protection, power conversion, energy storage, control and automation to ensure the design meets customer, budget, schedule, contract, and regulatory requirements.
- Support lead engineers in monitoring and delivering project work packages and deliverables.
- Produce designs, specifications and documentation for systems and supporting equipment, including generators, switchboards, transformers, converters, motors, energy storage, cabling etc.
- Undertake modelling, analysis and simulation of power electronic converter and machine drive systems & equipment, using industrial design tools such as: Matlab, Simulink and eTAP.
- Ensure drive and system designs comply with the relevant health & safety and applicable International standards and class society rules.
- Review technical drawings, specifications, study documents and electrical schematics for technical compliance and functionality.
- Support the lead engineers and project managers in resolving technical aspects, and issues in support of current projects, equipment under test, or in-service platforms and installations.
- Author and provide support to technical design studies, functional design specifications, short circuit calculations, load flow, protection co-ordination, harmonics analysis, system operation, transient analysis, common mode / EMC and quality of power supply studies.
- Provide technical assistance to tendering, test and commissioning teams.
- Support attainment of on-time delivery, cost and quality targets.
- Support verification, validation, acceptance testing of low voltage & medium voltage drive systems.
- Liaise with platform engineering, technology and value engineering, and supply chain as appropriate in order to support the project and the business.
- Liaise with other GE businesses, sub-contractors and suppliers as appropriate in order to support the project and the business.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to the overall project teams as appropriate, including support of technical meetings, factory acceptance testing, commissioning and service.
- Improve the efficiency of the engineering process, through development and use of standard engineering solutions for projects.
- Comply with all company and customer health and safety regulations.
- Minimum of a Degree or equivalent in electrical engineering or higher, Masters or PhD in relevant field.
- Chartered Engineer (or working to) and equivalent proven record of continuous professional development.
- Extant Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS), or the ability to obtain BPSS is required for this role.
- Experience and expertise in converters or power system engineering in one or more fields, from power engineering HV / LV or electrical drive systems applications.
- Experience of electrical system integration working on multi-discipline projects.
- Working knowledge of power converters, and power systems.
- Track record of successful project execution.
- Proficient with software simulation & design tools, MATLAB, Simulink essential. eTAP desirable.
- Electrical engineering & modelling in Marine /Offshore Oil & Gas / Naval / Defence industry.
- Experience in converter & systems engineering, modelling, design, application, testing or commissioning environment, with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Electrical power generation and distribution systems.
- LV / HV switchgear and transformer specification and application.
- LV and MV synchronous generators and their associated control systems (AVRs, speed governors etc.).
- Induction and synchronous motors and their control systems.
- Power system control and protection.
- LV and MV variable speed drives, motors and control.
- Battery and/or Ultra-Capacitor based energy storage systems.
- Application experience for drives, including marine (Naval or Offshore), metal industries or mining applications.
- Experience of performing power system studies such as:
- LV & MV Protection & Co-ordination.
- Voltage drop / dip calculations.
- Load flow and fault studies.
- Transient system and scenario analysis.
- Harmonic (VTHD) calculations.
- MV & LV power system cabling (cable selection, rating etc.).
- Quality of Power Supply / EMC
- On site commissioning experience of large projects.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good report writing skills.
- Good personal organisational skills.
- Operate with professionalism and integrity.
- Willing to travel within base country and overseas for short term working.
- Willing to work extended hours during the week, at weekends/holidays at critical times.
- Clean driving licence.
- The ability to obtain the higher levels of UK Security Clearance, including “SC Clearance” and “UK Eyes Only Clearance”, are desirable for this role.