Manufacturing Quality Engineer
Manufacturing Quality Engineer
Ocado’s Product Development team is revolutionising the next wave of automation within engineering and as a result, we're looking for a talented Manufacturing Quality Engineer to join us, working at a site in Blyth, Newcastle.
The Manufacturing Development team is responsible for the smooth transition of Ocado’s engineering systems, developed by our Product Development Team, into manufacture. Once successfully in manufacture the product will be handed over to Ocado’s Engineering Supply Chain team, who manage ongoing manufacture.
This role in particular is focused on putting in place the appropriate quality frameworks with suppliers, including system and component testing, operating procedures and quality plans, to allow this product handover to be successful. They will identify, investigate and address manufacturing quality issues during the product’s pre-production stage. While this role will be based in Newcastle, the rest of the Manufacturing Development team is based at our Engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. Some flexibility with regards to travelling to different sites is likely to be required.
- Identify and implement best practices both internally and with suppliers
- Put in place and verify the supplier’s quality framework
- Assist qualification of new manufacturers or processes
- Identify key critical parameters to be monitored at the manufacturer’s site and agree test and reporting methods with suppliers
- Ensure that the suppliers test capability is at an acceptable level, including process such as measurement systems analysis where appropriate
- Manage the creation and implementation of process capability charts and reports
- Identify key statistical process controls (SPC) parameters and work with suppliers to ensure adequate monitoring and reporting
- Ensure that any manufacturing quality issues identified in pre-production trials are addressed prior to handover
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering.
- An engineering/science qualification
- Experience in design for manufacture and manufacturing quality in areas such as industrial equipment, instrumentation, high volume manufacture or FMCG
- Experience in value engineering
- Experience in continuous process improvement
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management
- Quality tools: FMEA; FAST; Critical Parameters; 6 Sigma
- Demonstrates awareness and application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process
- Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information and tailor the communication for the audience
- Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed
- Both technical and commercial awareness
- Ability to write work instruction and technical reports
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site