Product Safety & Compliance Engineer
Product Safety & Compliance Engineer
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer, revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK and continually reporting double digit growth. Our Product Development team is developing its own technology and engineering solutions, allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate with exciting new business partnerships.
A fantastic opportunity has come up within the team for a Project Safety & Compliance Engineer, who will be responsible for guiding the development of our Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) products (including automated machinery, AGVs, robotics and wireless products), ensuring they meet the safety and regulatory requirements appropriate for the country of use. With a growing international portfolio this role will be integral to the team, and some flexibility with regards to travel will be required.
- Ensuring products and systems meet appropriate safety & regulatory compliance requirements
- Providing regulatory guidance and support to the development teams and other key customers/collaborators
- Conducting product safety evaluations or managing out-sourced product testing/certification as required
- Reviewing existing and emerging legislation for potential impacts and proposing compliance plans
- Performing and coordinating hazard and risk assessments for new product designs
- Compilation and maintenance of technical files for certification and regulatory compliance
- Review & approve safety related information prepared for manufacturing, end-users and service personnel (e.g. product testing, user guides, maintenance etc.)
- Review and prepare compliance reports for product certification, regulatory bodies and management as required
- Participate, as needed, in the analysis & resolution of potential field related safety issues
- Support the development and implementation of internal safety processes and procedures
Essential skills/experience required:
- Technically proficient in all areas of Mechanical and Electrical machinery safety
- Experience interfacing with external regulatory bodies
- Safety Auditing experience
- Experience in applying current European Directives and Standards pertaining to highly automated warehouses including automated machinery and robotics
- Experience in achieving certification for products outside of the EU
- Ability to support Mechanical and Electrical Design engineers in the design of appropriate safety systems and safety architecture to meet required product standards
- Ability to lead Task and Design based risk assessments
- Ability to create system test and validation plans
- Experience in the completion of EHSRs for Machinery Safety and the provision of body of evidence for CE Marking and regulatory compliance
- Ability to support and negotiate with suppliers for required certification / compliance deliverables
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Knowledge of EMC testing / compliance and certification of Radio Products
- Knowledge of functional safety systems including SIL/PL assessments (e.g. Functional Safety Certified Eng)
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income protection
- Share schemes
- 15% Ocado discount
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.