Mechanical Design Engineer (Automation Equipment)
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer revolutionising grocery shopping in the UK who continually report double digit growth. Our Product Development Team are developing our own technology and new customer propositions allowing the business to open multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships. We pride ourselves on the quality of ours goods, people and technological advances that power everything we do.
This role is to enable Ocado to retain UK sector lead and to grow nationally and internationally through the development of new automation products and equipment.
So what's the role?
Responsible for the mechanical design of a wide range of systems, sub-systems and components, typically automation equipment. You'll be involved at any stage from translating requirements, through concept generation, detail design, manufacturer support to design updates and enhancements.
Day to day, this will involve:
- Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed;
- Developing designs to meet requirements while following DFx best practise;
- Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence;
- Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials;
- Managing technical risk, ensuring significant risks are reported and mitigated;
- Solving engineering problems in a structured and methodical manner using data to make decisions. Calculations, methods and reasons for decisions are documented, reviewed and published;
- Traveling to other company sites and to suppliers to present work, collaborate on projects and seek advice;
- Preparing and presenting mechanical concepts and designs at reviews;
- Liaising with other departments and sites. This includes working closely with Operations, manufacturers and production engineers to ensure designs are optimised for manufacture;
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture;
- Ensuring design files and records are kept up to date;
- Following departmental processes at all stages of product development;
- Carrying out design change requests and associated administration in a timely manner;
- Reporting progress of all assigned tasks;
- Keeping up to date with the latest manufacturing techniques and material developments.
What would we like to see?
- A good Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience;
- A proven track record in designing complex electromechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production;
- Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software;
- Substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T;
- A good understanding of component selection;
- The ability to generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other);
- The ability to work within a team on multiple projects, to prioritise tasks and to manage your time;
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints.
We have revolutionised the online grocery world in the UK. Our technology is at the forefront of our business and it’s the people, like you, willing to challenge the norm to come up with innovative ideas that have enabled this. We offer a challenge like no other, interesting projects to work on and a sense that you are part of a team doing something different. In return we offer benefits such as contributory pension schemes, private medical insurance, life assurance, employee discount on Ocado.com and our speciality stores sites (Fetch, Sizzle, Fabled by Marie Claire) and an opportunity to continue with your career development. So why not come and join us on this journey.