Engineering Technical Support Manager
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer that is continually reporting double digit growth. We have world class automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) in the UK and after having revolutionised the grocery shopping market at home, we're now engaging in exciting new international business opportunities where we'll be implementing new CFCs around the world.
Due to this recent growth and success, our Central Automation Engineering team is growing and we're now looking for an Engineering Technical Support Manager to provide both technical and people leadership/management for the Technical Support team. This role, based at our Hatfield Head Office, will be vital in ensuring global consistency in our processes, products and support.
This role will also have responsibility for the implementation and standardisation of technical support and engineering change management, effective document/library control for released products and acting as a central point of contact between other teams in the wider Development & Engineering department to process and escalate engineering issues, as well as recommendations and feedback.
- Effectively manage, coordinate and develop the team of Technical Support Engineers
- Accountable for deliverables of the team
- Establish, maintain and champion both engineering and product best practice
- Lead the engineering change control process for automation products
- Maintain and communicate product technical documentation for all products (including but limited to Manuals, BoM’s, install guides, PDI & SAT checklists)
- Technical communications and product updates across teams and to relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate and support during design installation and commissioning phases of products (e.g. allocation and direct issues)
- Manage and maintain the processes used within the product engineering side of the team
- Support and manage the resolution of engineering change requests and product improvements
- Take full accountability and responsibility for changes on released products and be a key stakeholder for unreleased products
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal
- Ensure system integrity by collaborating with product engineers from other streams to ensure that any changes or issues in one area do not negatively impact another
Minimum skills/experience required:
- People management and delivery of results through a team
- Coaching and development of others
- Demonstrable experience & success in Project Engineering
- Awareness of field installation of products and/or systems
- Awareness of acceptance testing
- IT literate - proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite, comfortable using CAD packages
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Experience working in manufacturing/automotive/airports/FMCG distribution (or similar) environments
- Commercially aware and consider cost impacts on decisions and proposals
- Appreciation of the implications and requirements of product safety and compliance
- Appreciation of applicable directives, codes standards etc (e.g. machinery directive)
- Technical/Engineering qualification, to at least HND level in a relevant field
- Working knowledge of a range of project management skills, tools and approaches
- Remote Product Support experience
- Experience working internationally
- High level of proficiency in CAD packages (such as Solidworks/AutoCAD) would be a distinct advantage
- Engineering degree in relevant field
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income protection
- Share schemes
- 15% Ocado discount
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.