An opportunity has arisen for an experienced Research Engineer, to join our Seekers and Datalink Systems team based at our Bristol Site. The role is extremely varied, interesting and challenging using skills in electronics and mechanical engineering on a wide range of projects to support local departmental research activities and company project work.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Electronic construction and assembly tooling for R&D equipment production
- Mechanical tooling – both hand tools and machine power tools including competency at turning, milling, drilling and grinding, for small scale equipment production
- Experience in a technical environment
- Able to deal with multiple issues, tasks and concurrent priorities
- Commercial and financial awareness
- Team Player with good communication and interpersonal skills
Provide day to day support into the Seekers and Datalink Systems team
- Responsible for the design, build and test of prototype electronic and mechanical equipment.
- Design, build and test of ancillary hardware in support of contract, project and Internal Research and Development tasks
- Undertake a wide variety of electro-mechanical tasks generated within, and from outside of, the Department
- Laboratory Custodian of two small Workshops and an electronics Lab, for hardware build and assembly. This includes responsibility for the area and activity risk assessments, as well as COSHH.
- Responsibility for keeping local laboratory test equipment in Calibration, liaising with equipment users to understand demands on equipment, and with Calibration and Maintenance Department to ensure availability of equipment
- Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Co-ordinator for the local Department
- Give support in monthly health and safety tours of laboratories
What’s in it for you?
- Work within a research team with opportunity to provide key engineering build skills in support of a wider team working in innovative areas
- There are plenty of opportunities to learn, take ownership and expand personally to the level of experience and aspiration that one may have.
- Grow and develop engineering skills with a varied workload.
What’s great about the team?
- The Seekers and Datalink Systems department consists of a number of multi-disciplined, dynamic, focussed and agile teams of various sizes depending upon the product type and phase of development
- Work with people with an active, problem solving approach to work.
- MBDA prides itself on providing on-the-job training plus a range of courses to enhance your development further.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please Note: MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)