Software Project Lead Mission Planning & Control Software
We are a world leader in missile and missile systems development looking for a highly capable and adaptable Software Project Leader to join our team in Bristol. You will be leading the delivery of missile subsystem software into both the UK and the wider, international MBDA product portfolio.
What are we looking for?
- You will have excellent leadership and communication skills.
- You will ideally have a degree in an engineering, science or maths discipline combined with significant experience in the development of product software.
- You will favour a collaborative, open approach to development and have the ability to inspire others in order to reach, or exceed common goals and objectives. The software that you develop will be used across multiple products and sites, so strong communication skills and the ability to motivate and -influence others is essential.
- Ideally, you will have extensive experience delivering software developments successfully and demonstrate a high level of technical competency in the field of software engineering.
- We invite applications from people who have experience gained from working in defence, automotive, aerospace or consumer electronics sectors. Similarly, applications are invited from those currently working in small/medium-sized enterprises where there is a strong culture of consistency applied in a lightweight manner.
- It is desirable that you are able to achieve DV level security clearance
What’s in it for you?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
The Software Project Leader is accountable for the delivery of software products into both the UK and the wider, international MBDA product portfolio.
The main activities include:
- Deliver the software product in accordance with its requirements (technical, time, development cost, quality), managing risk, opportunities and technical issues.
- Lead the software design and development interfacing with technical experts, architects and requirements authorities. Work with all levels of the project up to Chief Engineer.
- Opportunity to remain hands-on developing new skills and maintaining existing skills.Our projects are varied and use Java, C# and C++ on Linux/Windows environments including higher integrity software development practices, infosec and real time software development.
- Lead a multi-skilled software project team formed by the low level work package leaders depending on project size; develop and motivate assigned staff to ensure they are aware of and capable of delivering their accountabilities.
- Ensuring a strong relationship with the project stakeholders across MBDA.
This is a great role for someone with a passion for software and its successful deployment in modern systems. You will be working with technologies at the forefront of European missile systems design, supporting the development of safe, secure and reliable products that our customers can rely on.
Many of the methods and tools we use in this domain are the result of strong international collaboration, and consequently there may be the opportunity to work with colleagues, both within the UK and at our development sites in France and Italy.
We offer a supportive working environment with the opportunity to develop your skills across a diverse range of products and technologies
What’s great about the team?
You will be joining and leading a team that continues to develop software used in the most advanced missile systems in the world. We apply small, focused teams of engineers to complex problems – you will be working with a talented group of experienced software, systems and electronics engineers.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)