Sparkworks LO Technologist
Low Observability Technologies are experiencing keen interest from across the customer community in both conventional and novel stealth applications, making this a really exciting and interesting time to join the LO team.
We are looking for team players and experienced physicists / engineers to join the existing team at a time of growth, with potential to benefit from opportunities in technology development, trials delivery and engineering management in the context of cutting-edge and world-leading technology. We are working on pre-concept and concept phase solutions with ambitious aims over the coming few years to further consolidate the UKs leading position.
Our activities are multi-disciplinary and include a breath of activities including Sparkworks-specific technologies as well as engagement into RCS engineering for the FC/ASW concepts; the work particularly suits engineers who are comfortable working across modelling, data analysis, electronics, physics, practical laboratory activities and low observability; potentially specialising in one or more of these areas.
What are we looking for?
We seek an experienced scientist or engineer with the following attributes:
- Creativity, imagination & problem solving skills
- Adaptability & willingness to deal with fluidity in fast paced environments
- Attention to detail
- Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
- Enjoys both working independently and drawing upon the skills from a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, backed by working knowledge of Office software
- Candidates must either hold DV (Developed Vetting) clearance, or be willing to undertake the process once working at MBDA
A candidate who additionally possesses several of the following attributes would be particularly suited to the role:
- Ideally holding a higher degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in a physics or engineering discipline
- Hands-on practical / laboratory skills
- Prior low observability or antenna experience
- Familiarity with well-known computer simulation codes (such as PSPICE, Matlab, CST MWS, COMSOL)
- Familiarity with analysis of large datasets
What’s in it for you?
- Interesting and exciting work, giving you the opportunity to work on some truly innovative and world-class technology
- Work on projects varying from a few weeks duration to several years with potential for exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- Opportunities to work on projects through their full lifecycle, from bid to customer delivery
- Opportunities to develop new skills through interaction with specialist areas within MBDA
- Opportunities to grow within the team whilst gaining experience of new areas (technical, project management, systems engineering, trials)
- Excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects; achieved through formal training courses and/or on-the-job training
- Opportunities to gain visibility for you and your work at the highest levels both inside and outside the company
- Having a varied “day-job”
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
- The role will be scoped to best match individual’s strengths, interests and aspirations; with a focus on delivering technical work in the domain of low observability. The role will include;
- Running simulations and models
- Data analysis of data generated either through modelling / simulation or gathered during trials
- Building test pieces for experiments and trials either in on site laboratory facilities or overseeing third parties where specialist tooling or skills is required from outside MBDA
- Delivering technical reports and presentations
- Conducting experiments / attending trials
- Planning technical tasks
- Building technical expertise in low observability
What’s great about the team?
- Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, diverse, passionate team responsible for the development of our future business & world leading technologies.
- Working with skilled, supportive and motivated colleagues, with a drive to deliver future technologies and a desire to see them benefit defence
- Ready-access to in-house expertise to supplement knowledge
- Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
- Access to a large laboratory suite supported by state-of-the-art test equipment.
- Contribute to wider activities, supporting senior management with high-level VIP visits and demonstrations
- The chance to exploit innovative and novel techniques in the development of the company’s future portfolio.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)