Weapon System Physical Architect
The opportunity has arisen to join the FLAADS Land team as a Weapon Systems Physical Architect, to lead the early physical integration studies with respect to reuse of a ground based air defense system, on new export customer platforms/vehicles.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a predominantly mechanical integration and structural design background wanting to build on their experience by working in a diverse customer focussed team to win export business for MBDA.
What are we looking for?
- Ideally educated to degree level, or equivalent, with in depth experience of product development within a multi-disciplined environment.
- Experience of product design, specifically in: Mechanical integration and structural design
- Design for Environment and Environmental Qualification
- Good understanding of broader engineering disciplines, including:
- Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing
- Design to Cost and UPC management
- Good knowledge and experience in structured Problem Solving techniques, such as 8D.
- Experience across the full Product Life Cycle.
- Ability to influence senior managers and other stakeholders across the company.
- Strong interpersonal and well developed communication skills (written & verbal), both internally and working with the customer.
- Willingness to travel within UK and Europe..
What’s in it for you?
- Weapon System Equipment is integral to the delivery of modern defence capability.You’ll be working as part of an integrated team on a flagship programme for MBDA to deliver new capabilities.It’s an exciting position where you’re be helping lead in expanding the portfolio of export Customers for Land Ceptor variants in the ground based air defence market.
- The role provides a unique opportunity to gain broad experience in winning new business, technical concept derivation and direct customer engagement. It also gives you the chance to work autonomously in a fast changing and dynamic environment.
- This experience is a stepping stone to more senior technical leadership roles within Weapon Systems as bids are won and your architectures and solutions progress through into Development.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), superb learning and development opportunities and more….
The role is responsible for deriving and delivering the weapon system physical architecture to meet customer requirements on time and on cost.
For this specific role the focus is on live export campaigns, where typical responsibilities will include:
- Early integration of the Land Ceptor demo Launcher onto customer vehicles for concept demonstration.
- Direct customer engagement on candidate vehicles and impact assessments on the existing launcher physical architecture and capability, for example; Structural Integrity & Environmental Certification.
- Derive physical architecture concepts and progressively down-selected through trade-off studies that will consider impact on UPC and NRE.
- Support Industrial offset and workshare discussions; be technical point of contact for physical design, requiring engagement into current UK and Italian design teams and supply chains.
- Propose qualification/proving strategies required to validate new vehicles arrangements, considering; Mechanical Environments (shock & vibration), Climatic Environments, EMC Environments, Physical functions qualification.
- Manage the architecture task package;
- Produce Statements of Work and project plans as requested that detail the technical activities, deliverables, risks and opportunities, costs.
- Derive and manage resource needs to support all Bids, contributing to Work Load Forecast.
What’s great about the team?
- You’ll be joining a dynamic team, split across multiple disciplines of mixed age and experience, which provides good development opportunities.
- You’ll face frequent new challenges that’ll require you to ‘think on your feet’ & take a systematic approach in understanding, resolving & providing technical responses to maintain project pace
- There’ll be opportunities for international travel
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)