Battle Modelling Engineer
An opportunity has arisen for a dynamic individual to join UK element of the Battle Modelling team. This team provides software tools and analytical studies for a diverse range of activities across the business, including Future Systems, Export Campaigns and VIP visits. You will participate in the development, use and international sharing of a wide range of real time and non-real time simulation software tools for missiles, sensors, and aircraft, including the FOX operator-in-the-loop air combat simulator.
- Member of a small functional UK team working in an international environment.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a wide range of battle modelling software tools (in C, C++, Matlab, Visual Basic, Open GL), including real-time operator–in-the-loop air combat simulation with 3D graphics.
- Participate in analytical studies and experimentation using the battle modelling toolset – including air-air combat tactical studies and missile performance investigation & comparisons
- Assist with Customer and VIP visits, demonstrations and export campaigns.What’s in it for you?
- Develop your knowledge of software development and testing methods.
- Work with physics-based models and computerised “wargames”.
- Build your knowledge of defence systems including data fusion algorithms, aeronautics, sensors, guidance and control algorithms.
- Work with 2D and 3D graphics using Open GL and Qt.
- Learn about the modelling of tactics, weapon effectiveness and aircraft performance.
- Become a “pilot” in a flight simulator environment and help develop future tactics.
- Opportunities to interact with the Military User and VIP visits.
What’s great about the team?
As a member of the Battle Modelling team within Future Systems you will be working in a dynamic, forward looking and international environment, supporting studies for MBDA’s systems of tomorrow
The team has a wide range of internal customers, which provides a high level view of the business and lots of variety. Tasks are relatively short duration and we often have to respond at short notice.
What are we looking for?
- Ideally degree (or equivalent) in an Engineering or Science discipline.
- Experiance across two or more programming languages (C, C++, FORTRAN, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Open GL, Python).
- Some experience of software requirements, development, testing and verification, and working with data structures, algorithms and scripting in a Windows or Linux environment.
- Some knowledge of numerical modelling techniques (e.g. Probabilistic, Optimization and Monte-Carlo methods).
- Willingness to build defence domain knowledge, and an interest in mathematical modelling of military tactics and equipment.
- to communicate to a non-expert audience, including report writing and presentation skills.
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)