Engineering and Maintenance Supervisor
The role is to provide in-house engineering expertise and insight for all areas of the UK Academy business. Overall responsibilities include working with the Operations Manager to maintain oversight of engineering and maintenance third party contracts and auditors for the fleet of aircraft and simulators as well as implementing initiatives to reduce maintenance costs and increase aircraft availability.
Core duties will involve, but not be limited to:
- Provide expert guidance and support for UK L3 Academy staff as the in house engineering representative.
- On behalf of L3 UK Academy, attend third party meetings including the ATO Part M and Part 145 organizations.
- Maintain a positive relationship with both internal and external stakeholders and represent L3 UK Academy as a point of contact for any third party maintenance organizations.
- Assist with external and internal L3 UK Academy audits and own the responses and rectifying actions to any findings relating to engineering and maintenance.
- Work with the Operations Manager to monitor and forecast maintenance costs and where possible, devise strategies to reduce aircraft down time, thereby mitigating losses to the training schedule and increasing cost efficiency.
- Develop a system to review technical trends and establish a baseline for expected technical down time, which is factored into aircraft availability forecasts.
- Checking and approving third party invoices in line with the commercial contracts to ensure billing accuracy.
- Regularly reviewing the ‘Notes to Crew’ to ensure that any aircraft defects are dealt with in a correct and timely manner.
- Ensure communication and cooperation with the Safety and Compliance Team.
- Point of contact for trainees wishing to query technical defects.
- Complete other duties that may be reasonably required within the Team.
- Maintain a level of technical knowledge appropriate for the role.
- No more than 15% travel to other UK satellite sites. Any additional travel will be advised within reasonable notice.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Qualifications and educational requirement:
Educated to GCSE English and Maths, Level A-C (or equivalent)
Skills and experience:
- At least 8 years of engineering experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience within the field of aviation.
- Bachelor’s degree within the engineering field.
- Solid numeracy skills
- Self-motivated, proactive, confident and highly collaborative
- Ability to work in a high pressured and dynamic environment
- Flexible and able to adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Demonstrate proven problem solving abilities
- Able to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- International outlook, ability to deal comfortably with various cultures is preferred
- Proactive approach with the ability to react quickly to unplanned scenarios
- Flexibility and ability to work well as part of a dynamic team
- A “can do” attitude and able to operate in a high pressure business environment
Note: This Job Description is not intended to be all-inclusive. It is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organisation.
Applications will only be accepted from individuals who possess the eligibility to live and work in the United Kingdom.
L-3 Communications is a $15billion a year business with over 45,000 employees worldwide. Headquartered in Crawley, UK, L-3 Commercial Training Solutions division is L-3’s global provider of truly-integrated pilot training, resourcing and systems solutions for the global, commercial aviation arena; employing 1200 people across locations in the UK, USA, New Zealand and Thailand.
Advanced Technologies and Training Excellence
L-3 Commercial Training Solutions is fully committed to supporting our customers’ ambitions and visions. Our totally scalable, innovative solutions to diverse training, resourcing and simulation challenges are unpinned by a commitment to the customer, quality and safety.
Uncompromising Customer Experience
The qualities that have enabled us to support our customers so successfully to date, thrive within our dedicated team: flexibility, a drive to innovate and desire to establish true partnerships with our customers.
This role will be based at Crew Training Centre – Bournemouth (UK). This purpose-built facility is our UK training centre for trainees in the single engine Foundation, multi-engine CPL and Instrument Rating stages of training with our various ab-initio programmes. Located at Bournemouth International Airport, the centre is close to rail, air and road links.