Engineering Capability Manager
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
GD is looking to recruit an Engineering Manager for its Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) business based in South Wales. The successful candidate will be responsible for functional leadership of a multi-disciplined engineering team that is focused on developing solutions for the integration of advanced mission and vehicle systems onto military AFV platforms. This role will report into the Senior Programme Manager for the within Land Systems Engineering function.
The role will require close liaison and co-operation with the Programme Management Office and Engineering leads both in the UK and in North America as part of the wider General Dynamics Land Systems. The candidate must be a team player who is prepared to lead from the front and work with a multi-national engineering team and the customer community. The individual will be required to work across geographical and cultural divides to draw together a comprehensive engineering capability that will derive a balanced system solution.
- Responsible for the functional engineering management of the Engineering Team within the Land Systems Organisation.
- Provide engineering leadership with regards to People, Process and Tools to support successful completion of the Land Systems engineering activities.
- Provide weekly status reports to the Engineering Senior Programme Manager
- Ensure the required resource profile is available for the business needs, working closely with the engineering resource planner and Project Manager.
- Ensure the required skills set are in place, competence maintained and training is secured for the engineering team.
- Grow & Develop domain expertise across the multi-disciplined engineering team with support to recruitment activities.
- Responsible for change by leading with energy, enthusiasm and passion.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and continuous improvement process effectiveness within the team.
- Support Executive Management in the strategic planning of resource, processes and equipment and tools
- Responsible for liaising with other Land Systems business unit leads for knowledge sharing
- Ensure staff development is maintained through periodical reviews on performance and management of annual performance management appraisals.
- Management of Land Systems future talent pool ensuring that our Graduates and Apprentices have the training and tools required to support their development within the business.
- Productions of metrics reporting packs to support the Engineering function during Leadership reviews
- Ability to Liaise with and present information to multi-disciplined team members.
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills.
- Strong analytical skills and experience of financial budget management.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and responsibility of key projects and ensuring successful outcomes to a given timeline.
- Willing to travel within the UK and overseas.
- Excellent knowledge of MS office, databases and information systems.
- Good understanding of research methods and data analysis techniques.
- Familiarity with British Army Land mobile Platforms
- Proven experience as a Capability Manager or within a relevant role in a high performing business
- Experience of managing the development of Graduates and Apprentices within large dynamic organisations.
- Thorough understanding of diverse business processes and strategy development
- Project management qualifications such as APMP, Agile are desirable
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.