Project Support Engineer
Ocado is no longer just an award-winning online retailer - we are also revolutionising when it comes to engineering, technology and automated logistics solutions that benefit not only our own business, but also that of our multiple retail partners across the globe.
Our Product Development department is at the forefront of our innovative automated solutions - it designs, tests, manufactures and rolls out products needed for our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. With the business growing rapidly both in the UK and internationally and multiple new CFCs in the works, it couldn’t be a better time to join us and be part of the Ocado journey.
We’re now looking for a Project Support Engineer, to sit within our Projects team in Product Development. This person will be responsible for engineering related activities, supporting the Project Engineer and Engineering Project Managers on the delivery of Automation projects. They will manage the technical delivery of Mechanical & Structural Engineering analysis and Electro-mechanical and Automation research and development projects, from conceptualisation, through to proof of concept, prototyping, and finally to realisation and implementation.
- Working within a stage-gated development project plan for larger projects owned by the Project Engineer, with responsibility for deliverables, timescales and costs of various work packages.
- Generation and ownership of project plans for smaller projects
- Vendor selection and the consequential management of chosen vendors to ensure deliverables are met
- Matrix management of appropriate internal departmental resource
- Risk management and carrying out de-risking activities to support project delivery
- Taking specifications and planning out the activities in collaboration with the PE for larger projects
- Determining engineering activity schedules by studying project plans and specifications
- Stakeholder management through clear and regular communication to stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to communicate engineering topics effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ensure that engineering activity meets regulatory compliance standards
- Project management – working with the Project Engineer and Engineering Project Managers to plan and manage projects or sub- tasks, which are tracked against the overall project plan
- Where appropriate ensure products are suitable for transfer to manufacture
- Ensure that the product meets the criteria for entry into the product catalogue
Minimum skills/experienced required:
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to mechanical and/or structural analysis, particularly a fundamental understanding of load transfer
- Proven track record in systems or technical design and delivery
- Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with project and technical barriers
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Experience in assessing and quantifying technical risks and devising appropriate de-risking activities
- Ability to quantify requirements which are only expressed in qualitative terms
- Generate effective verification plans to prove requirements and conform to regulatory compliance standards
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Taken a course in technical problem solving skills, (such as TRIZ), and root cause analysis
- Experience in managing project budgets
- Hands on site experience in installation and commissioning of equipment and systems
- Experience in identifying areas for testing from empirical and evidence derived site data
- Experience in impact analysis
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
This role may require travel to other sites.
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.