Ocado is no longer just an award-winning online retailer - we are also revolutionising when it comes to engineering, technology and automated logistics solutions that benefit not only our own business, but also that of our multiple retail partners across the globe.
Our Product Development department is at the forefront of our innovative automated solutions - it designs, tests, manufactures and rolls out products needed for our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. With the business growing rapidly both in the UK and internationally and multiple new CFCs in the works, it couldn’t be a better time to join us and be part of the Ocado journey.
We’re now looking for a Workshop Manager. This person will be responsible for building and managing Ocado's technical capability in test fixture building/assembly, prototype build and component metrology.
They will also need to recruit and manage a team of technicians, identify new equipment and capability needs and find solutions with a mixture of internal and external resource.
- Creating capital equipment justification
- Manage the ongoing maintenance and up keep of capital equipment
- Create a pool of internal/external resource to support the "hands on build" capability for the Product Development team
- Prioritise workload in conjunction with the stakeholders, setting and meeting achievable deadlines
- Responsible for the creation and adherence to safe practices of work within workshop and build area
- Identifying external resources where needed, engaging them and managing their delivery schedule and quality of work
- Responsible for providing build resource for the full lifecycle of projects based on the project needs this will rigs, jigs and fixtures, prototype, trail and pre-production build support
- Support SOP creation based on learnings from build
- Responsible for providing formal feedback reports to design team and manufacturing development team during prototype build
Minimum skills/experience required:
- Hands on engineering experience (e.g. engineering apprenticeship/engineering degree with additional practical exposure)
- Experience in managing a team of technicians
- Experience in outsourcing work and manging delivery
- Experience in acquiring and commissioning equipment
- Knowledge and experience of various measurement techniques from basic hand measurement to CMM capability
- Experience in creating safe systems of work
- Experience in managing deliveries to multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, SLS, RIM and metal sintering
- Experience in the creation of work instructions
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
This role may require travel to other sites.
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.