Functional Safety Engineer
Ocado is an award-winning online retailer who continually report double digit growth. We have world class automated Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFC’s) in the UK. Now having revolutionised grocery shopping in the UK based on our ground breaking Ocado Smart Platform technology we are engaging in exciting new International business opportunities requiring the implementation of multiple CFC’s around the world.
The Functional Safety and compliance engineer is responsible for support and maintenance of the functional safety of the Ocado MHE. The functional safety engineer is expected to work alongside Product development functional safety lead in supporting the lifecycle of the installed products on various sites. As a FS Eng will need to receive any safety and compliance critical documentation released by the product development and support the install, testing and implementation of safety critical changes in our global automated warehouses.
You will act as a specialist consultant for field engineers and other product engineers. You will be closely working with product specialists, implementation teams, engineering operations and product development to ensure the functional safety standards are maintained across all the released products.
- Active participation in product and systems HAZOPs, Risk assessments and TUV certifications or similar.
- Review & approve safety related information prepared for manufacturing, end-users and service personnel (e.g. final product testing, user guides, procedures, etc.).
- Ensure products and systems meet appropriate regulatory and support the ongoing maintenance for safety compliance..
- Review functional safety control system design and implementation, including functional and integrity requirement specifications, control system architectures, I/O lists, communication block diagrams, technical specifications, scopes of work, safety lifecycle documentation, and test documentation.
- Provide safety engineering guidance and support to R&D and Engineering operations team across different CFCs.
- Be the centre point of contact for all CFCs for any functional safety queries.
- Support the implementation of the safety management system to cover products, systems and services.
- Ensure system integrity by collaborating with product engineers from other streams to ensure that any changes or issues in one area do not negatively impact another product or overall system.
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies). To seek guidance from the HS&E team where there is uncertainty.
Minimum skills/experience required:
- Must be technically proficient in all areas of Mechanical and Electrical machinery safety.
- Proven knowledge in functional Safety (eg TUV Functional Safety Certified or similar) and able to run SIL/Design based risk assessments.
- Experience in project based control system safety in both the design and execution phases.
- Proven experience in functional safety within automotive or industrial automation industry. Specifically, the application of IEC 62061, IEC 61508 or IEC 61511 during front-end design and design execution.
- Experience with development of safety lifecycle documentation, such as hardware and software requirements and design specifications, and test documentation.
- Experience with probabilistic calculations, gathering and application of failure rate data.
- Experience using functional safety verification tools(PASCAL) and creation of functional safety reports including completion of the associated safety related risk assessment.
- Experience with multidisciplinary design interfaces (particularly process, electrical and mechanical) required.
- Be willing to travel and work flexibly.
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Appreciation of applicable directives, codes standards etc (eg machinery directive)
- Siemens PLC development experience preferred.
- Experience of field Installation of products and / or systems.
- Experience of acceptance testing.
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing.
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Experience of projects and products in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field
- Aptitude to debate details (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external parties
- Work in a safe manner at all times and appreciate the implications and requirements of relevant product safety and compliance.
- Technical / Engineering qualification, to at least HND level in a relevant field.
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite..
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in sharesave and Buy as you earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, smart pass and destination site.
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.