Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
Do you want to write software for the UK's latest frontline fighter, augmented/virtual reality trainers for nuclear submarines or 3D mission planning systems for military aircraft? Interested in using machine learning on big data to maximise availability for aircraft, ships and land vehicles or developing web based solutions to keep airspace safe?
Fed up with the 'rat-race' and the long commute to work? This exciting opportunity is based at our Yeovil site where you enjoy easy access to the countryside and beaches of the South West which provide opportunities to enjoy a multitude of activities to suit all ages.
BAE Systems people come from all walks of life and professional backgrounds. Join a team where high standards of work are expected and encouraged, where people are understood, valued and you can develop and enhance your skills and knowledge.
Our employees receive an excellent and varied benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme plus others including
- Initial 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Share incentive plan
- 52 weeks' maternity leave regardless of length of service
- Work life integration plan covering paternity, adoption, parental and dependents leave
- Discount arrangements on a wide range of goods and services including participating gyms, car dealers, Supermarket chains and Travel Agents.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Excellent career mobility with national and international opportunities
- Access to online training courses
- Access to Skillsoft 24x7 providing 1000's of technical books and videos
- 24/7 access to our Employee Assistance Programme offering a wide range of personal support
Perhaps most importantly, we know that you're at your best when you're living a full and balanced life. So we aim to give you plenty of time to pursue your passions and enjoy your family and friends outside work.
Your main responsibilities as a Senior Software Engineer will involve:
- Ownership of requirements, design and implementation, and test to a high standard, within schedule and estimates
- Software development of solutions
- Testing of completed functionality
- Adherence to project processes and software development practices
- Reporting on progress and providing feedback to team members and leadership
- Supporting System Test and Integration Activities
- Production of appropriate technical documentation
- Design of technical solutions
- Estimation of development activities
As part of the software team you will be expected to work closely with team members, and support the team and/or project leadership in daily activities. You may also be asked to lead teams of up to 10 engineers.
Your skills and qualifications as a Senior Software Engineer:
Proven competence in:
- Software development lifecycle and processes (e.g. design, coding, unit testing), and tools (e.g. UML design tools, code IDEs)
- Desktop-based applications (Java and Eclipse RCP or C#/C++)
- Web-oriented applications and services (Java/C#, JSP, HTML, CSS, Apache middleware)
- Business intelligence/analytics tools and techniques (ETL, SQL, Python)
- Windows or Linux target environments
- Object-oriented design/development including UML
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
BAE Systems Air
BAE Systems Air brings together the company's international capabilities and expertise to respond to customers' current and future requirements, and compete for international export and collaborative opportunities. In the UK, BAE Systems Air has an unrivalled track record and expertise in the development, delivery and support of military air platforms, components and technologies through Typhoon, F-35 Lightning II, Tornado and Hawk.
BAE Systems Air has the capability to provide customers with information superiority through the delivery of actionable intelligence and information, together with the provision of innovative information systems and services. Training is a key enabler to delivering military capability, and at BAE Systems we bring together our expertise in the analysis, design, build and delivery of training solutions into a powerful combination for our military customers around the world.
Working as an integral part of the team delivering information superiority and effective air power, our aim is to provide our customers with the capabilities and intelligence that really matters.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.