Engineering Data Leader
Ocado is no longer just an award-winning online retailer - we are also revolutionising when it comes to engineering, technology and automated logistics solutions that benefit not only our own business, but also that of our multiple retail partners across the globe.
Our Product Development department is at the forefront of our innovative automated solutions - it designs, tests, manufactures and rolls out products needed for our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. With the business growing rapidly both in the UK and internationally and multiple new CFCs in the works, it couldn’t be a better time to join us and be part of the Ocado journey.
We’re now looking for an Engineering Data Leader, to sit within our Design team in Product Development. This is a brand new and pivotal role for the team - the successful candidate will be responsible for setting and implementing the long term strategic objectives for the management of engineering data, including the structure, quality and transmittal/receipt of design documentation.
The position will also involve collaboration with stakeholders to analyse and define the data management requirements, and will play an important part in driving the vision of the Design team to create more collaborative digital and VR product management systems. We’re looking for somebody that will be agile in their approach and able to adapt in an extremely fast-paced organisation, that is a team player and able to work effectively with senior stakeholders.
- Development of a strategy and plan for engineering data management (including security, integrity, traceability and availability)
- Responsible for driving framework for design and drawing quality
- Rollout of tools, software, processes and documentation to support the Engineering data management strategy
- Set up and optimise processes for day to day management of Engineering data
- Set up and optimise process for day to day management of BOM (Bill Of Material) data ensuring revision control and controlled release when required
- Jointly responsible for managing the Engineering Timing Release Schedule (ETRS)
- Development of work flows and protocols that support the Engineering data management strategy
- Development and implementation of a quality framework for documents (apart from drawings) released from engineering
- Regular and consistent reporting to stakeholders on document statistics including documents released per project
- Liaise, train and audit design suppliers to establish flawless document transactions
- Support the needs of configuration (and change) management
- Facilitate automation of design engineering transactions to drive productivity of the team, projects and the business
- Responsible for developing and automating frameworks to improve the quality of design and drawings
Minimum skills/experience required:
- Significant experience in managing a large and complex suite of engineering data
- The ability to introduce and drive process improvements leading to the optimisation of engineering data storage and issue
- Ability to work on tools including databases and spreadsheets to produce metrics and control Engineering data release
- Excellent skills in communicating with cross-functional teams and suppliers including the ability to bring others in alignment with strategies and plans
- Sound knowledge of revision control of engineering documentation
- Experience of auditing compliance procedures
- Experience of working with product data management and PLM systems
Preferred skills/experience required:
- Experience of working with SolidWorks PDM Bill of Materials
- Migration of data between systems
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
This role may require travel to other sites.
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.