Research Engineer - Construction
BRE is undertaking a major four year R&D programme in the construction sector together with an alliance of partners and stakeholders. This is to deliver the Construction Innovation Hub (CIH) focusing on offsite construction and digital technologies and processes, supported by a £72m grant from UKRI (https://transformingconstruction.org.uk/). The work of the CIH will continue beyond the period of this grant.
We have a number of exciting new roles for experienced Research Engineers covering a range of disciplines across architectural technology, information management, data science, software development, architecture, mechanical engineering, physics and building science.
These roles will work in a collaborative and multi-disciplinary way across a number of projects related to: building information modelling (BIM); through-life performance of buildings; testing, assessment and modelling of building products and assemblies; standards and regulations and quality management systems.
This is a great opportunity to work on leading edge research in the construction sector, working with a number of expert organisations across the country.
BRE is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research, knowledge dissemination and the delivery of a wide range of services.
The role of the Research Engineers will be to:
- Perform research including background research, testing, assessment, modelling, software development and data analysis
- Work independently and collaboratively with a range of teams
- Write technical reports and presentations underpinned by robust evidence
- Support the scoping and development of project proposals
- Present findings to internal and external stakeholders
- Deliver presentations at conferences and workshops
- Attend regular technical meetings with partners in Coventry, Cambridge, and London
Skills and Experience
The candidate should have:
- A degree in architecture, architectural technology, mechanical engineering, building science, information management, data science, computer science, software development or similar
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet deadlines and work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- The ability to communicate complex information effectively to a wide range of audiences
Location of Role
- You will be based at BRE in Watford with regular partner meetings in Coventry, Cambridge and London
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
While this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way