Ocado is no longer just an award-winning online retailer - we are also revolutionising when it comes to engineering, technology and automated logistics solutions that benefit not only our own business, but also that of our multiple retail partners across the globe.
Our Product Development department is at the forefront of our innovative automated solutions - it designs, tests, manufactures and rolls out products needed for our Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. With the business growing rapidly both in the UK and internationally and multiple new CFCs in the works, it couldn’t be a better time to join us and be part of the Ocado journey.
We’re now looking for a Project Engineer, to sit within our Projects team in Product Development. This person will be responsible for supporting the delivery of automation projects from conceptualisation through to implementation, with the aim of supporting growth, reducing operating costs and improving efficiencies for Ocado’s 24/7 high speed, highly automated customer fulfilment centres.
- Supporting the Engineering Project Manager with deliverables, timescales and costs of various work packages on large scale projects
- Generation and ownership of stage-gated development plans for smaller projects
- Vendor selection
- Matrix management of appropriate internal departmental resource
- Risk management – identifying opportunities to accelerate development or reduce risk
- Stakeholder management - clear and regular communication of development cycle progress
- Presentations – with the ability to engage both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ensure that engineering activity meets regulatory compliance standards
- Project closure – ensure that products and associated documentation meet the criteria for entry into the product catalogue
- An Engineering qualification (HND or Degree level)
- Technical ability relating to automation hardware
- Hands on site experience in installation and commissioning of equipment and systems
- Proven track record in systems or technical design and delivery
- Budget management
- Experience identifying areas for testing from empirical and evidence derived site data
- Experience in assessing and quantifying technical risks and devising appropriate de-risking activities
- Experience quantifying requirements to conform to regulatory compliance standards
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- Qualification in technical problem solving skills (such as TRIZ) and root cause analysis.
- Experience with electronics, robotics and vision
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
This role may require travel to other sites.
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.