Senior Production Engineer
Ocado is no longer just an online grocery retailer – we are the world leader in automated logistics solutions, growing at a rapid rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships in the UK and internationally.
The Product Development team develops innovative engineering solutions for the Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. Due to our continual growth, we're now looking for a Senior Production Engineer to join us at our CFC in Erith.
The Production Engineering team is a critical part of the Product Development Team, responsible for the rapid containment and resolution of product issues encountered on our large portfolio of products across Ocado sites in the UK and internationally. You will work alongside our site teams, engineering operations team and design team to drive robust solutions in a fast-paced high throughput environment.
A typical system includes a precision structure the size of several football pitches, which houses millions of products in tens of thousands of bins stacked to the roof. Thousands of high speed robots run on the structure to interface with a variety of high throughput work stations performing different functions. Additionally there is an array of supporting products including robots that recover other robots!
Working across all of these systems means your work will make a tangible difference to the success and profitability of Ocado as a business.
- Managing teams and suppliers across a portfolio of issues to:
- provide rapid containment of a portfolio of issues with electro-mechanical equipment in our CFCs
- change try out and verification of the robustness of solutions
- create documentation packs to enable rollout of solutions
- keep stakeholders informed of progress of a portfolio of containments and fixes
- Building strong relations across the business to enable collaborative working
- Creating and implementing processes to enable feedback to our design teams
- Creating and implementing best practice in the team and mentor junior team members
- Driving continuous improvement in the team to improve performance meeting KPIs
- Planning the team's work and managing resources to effectively respond to varying workloads
- An engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Already working as a Senior Production Engineer or a Production Engineering Manager (in a smaller company looking to move up)
- Strong problem solving, data capture and analysis skills
- Six Sigma qualification (green belt or above)
- Engineering skills to manage mechanical, electrical, electronics, manufacturing or reliability issues and be the point of escalation for the junior members of the team
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to track and forecast resources and present and negotiate resource requirements at senior management level
- Ability to manage the team output to ensure reliability, safety and design intent is maintained across products throughout their lifecycle
- Project management skills sufficient to manage a varied workload to meet KPIs and set best practice in a team
- Experience and ability to identify gaps and grow and maintain a supplier base to enable successful achievement of KPIs
- Proven track record of solving complex mechanical/electrical/electronics/manufacturing/reliability issues
- Highly collaborative nature
- Ability to communicate progress in a structured manner to an audience of varying technical levels
- Expertise in product reliability and reliability testing
What we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Income protection
- Share schemes
- 15% Ocado discount
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.