Join us to be part of the driving force of Defence.
Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matter. When we talk about innovation within this business, it’s essential we demonstrate how we do this. We don’t just imagine great possibilities – we push boundaries at every stage and bring our innovative ideas to life through impressive engineering. This is how we create brilliance, which we should sell by letting the facts speak for themselves.
We’re the second largest global provider of defence aero-engine products and services globally with 16,000 engines in the service of 160 customers in 100 countries. Our engines power aircraft in every major sector, including: transport, combat, patrol, trainers, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.
To ensure we continue to be pioneers of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of pounds worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialisation, we also offer freedom to cross-specialise and develop skills across a number of different areas for Defence.
Gas Turbine Performance can be defined as the thrust or shaft power delivered for a given fuel flow whilst ensuring stable and safe operation throughout the operational envelope.
Performance Engineers act as whole engine integrators of propulsion system functional design liaising with multiple skill groups.
You will be responsible within Engineering for the design, prediction and understanding of the steady state and transient behaviour of our products and systems.
Responsibilities include whole engine performance predictions to define/ optimise propulsion systems, developing innovative solutions for future applications, engine operability/functional performance, engine performance verification (including engine test support & analysis), providing support to our partners & customers and supporting both RR and customer test bed facilities.
- Performance Engineers act as whole engine integrators of propulsion system functional design, this is achieved by:
- Gathering sub-system predictions of component behaviour for integration into system level predictions.
- Negotiating sub-system performance levels to achieve optimum propulsion system level requirements.
- To develop and maintain a functional understanding of the propulsion system e.g. compressor stability, combustion stability, control system requirements & behaviour.
- To maintain and develop toolsets, models and data in accordance with the needs of the Project and the Performance function.
- To define requirements, support, analyse and report on engine performance verification tests.
- To understand the root cause of problems and to work with stakeholders to formulate and incorporate solutions in line with corporate guidelines.
- To demonstrate an ability to continuously improve understanding and practices and share within the business.
- You will be educated to degree level in a STEM subject and/ or have experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered. A Degree in Gas Turbines/ Aero Industry would be advantageous
- Good appreciation of how a Gas Turbine works
- A background in Gas turbine performance
- Knowledge of C++, FORTRAN, Matlab and Python would be beneficial.
- Ability to operate at different levels
Candidates should be highly numerate with strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving ability and capable of systems level thinking, including personal drive, excellent communication and presentation skills, and will need to contribute effectively in a team environment. Candidates will be expected to take the lead in identifying project requirements, specifying and executing packages of work.
The ability to achieve UK security clearance may be required for some roles.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include employee support assistance and employee discounts.
On site you can benefit from free parking, a subsidised Gym, Canteen/ Café and breakout areas.
At Rolls-Royce UK we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible
We are an equal opportunities employer.